Smoking Whole Turkey... need a little help here?

I also do low and slow. Key is brining the turkey over night, butter under the skin on the boobs, onion, carrot and celery in the cavity and watch the skin and boobs and baste (butter mix) if they look like they are drying out. I have not had a dry turkey using this method and i have used it the last 4 years. Last year I did 10 turkeys and 5 turkey boobs for neighbors and coworkers.

Norco, I'm thinking about getting a couple off these. They claim it cooks faster, have you notice that?
Deffinately does. You have to keep in mind the liquid has to get hot enough to vaporize. I start at @ 220 pit, smoke for awhile then raise temp which helps make skin better. Works great in oven also. Don't know if it cuts it in half like they claim but it does shorten it. Plus it makes it pretty.

Thanks Norco, Cabela's has then for 20.00 here in Glendale. I'll have to see how much shipping is from the web site you posted and how fast they ship. I'm going to get two of them.

I just did a 14 pounder at 250 in my grilldome to 180. Tasted great. Moist white meat and legs were great.

I hung one in my XXL UDS a couple of weeks ago. When I do one for Thanksgiving I am going o figure approx 45 minutes a pound.

me too... heck just for the oven its worth it! Just ordered

In the past when I've done a turkey I just made a rub of rosemary, sage sale and pepper and put it in for 4-6 hrs at 325. Baste once or twice if you feel like it. Never have had any problems. Better yet smoke, let it sit over night, rewarm in oven the next day. The flavor seeps into the meat and is twice as good.

Here is a pic of the turkey hanging. As far as the advantages, I guess it is personal preference. For me, I think there is a big difference in smoking meat hanging versus laying on a grate. I hang brisket, ribs, and chicken. I have yet to do a pork butt but I am sure I will as soon as I figure out a catchers mitt.:cool:

Attachments

• turkey2.jpg
    turkey2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 370
Norco, what do you put in the turkey cannon?

I made a turkey breastessess earlier this summer on my new Turkey Cannon.

I put apple juice, a bit of Jack Daniels, seasoned salt and a handful of herbs from the herb garden.

TO DIE FOR!!!!!!!

Now my only question is this - using an ECB - would it be possible to smoke a ham AND whole turkey at the same time?

Keep in mind - this is for my in-laws so I have a bit more wiggle room (compared to making this for my own family because the judging would be a bit harsh).

If not - then I may have to blow my bonus on a new WSM..............

Back