Smoking in 3 Season Room

Benjamins

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I recently converted my 13x20 covered patio into a 3 season room. I was hoping to make an outdoor (second indoor?) Kitchen in there using with my pellet grill and Blackstone. Just trying to figure out if a vent hood would make it not get too smokey in there? I put in 4 5ftx5ft windows that I would have open the majority of the time as well. Not sure if I screwed myself enclosing the area. Thanks for any opinions anyone can give!

I wouldn't do it. No matter how effective the exhaust hood is, it will not capture 100.00% of the smoke. Look at all the black stuff on the inside of your cookers. It is deposited by the smoke. The same stuff will be deposited, slowly, slowly, on all exposed surfaces in your room. Probably the fastest buildup will be on the windows screen material as the stray smoke passes through. If the windows are not screened you will dodge that bullet, but there will still be buildup on all the other surfaces. The prof of this is as simple as the smoke-smelling clothes we find ourselves wearing after a cook.

Yeah that makes sense. I kind of had a feeling that might be the case but just wanted to get some opinions.

I wouldn’t do it but I do know it is possible.

When on business travel to Wisconsin a group of us would usually go out one night to the Prime Quarter steakhouse where you drink beer and shoot the bull while grilling your own steaks and making your own Texas toast on the grill. They always had 2 charcoal grills like shown below running in an enclosed building.

I assume that there was a fresh air intake under the grill and a good fan on the vent above the grill. There was no smoke in the Resturant.

4f3a7f62544d0.preview-1024.jpg

An industrial hood vent should be fine, a consumer grade hood vent not so much. Just my uninformed opinion however.

Back