THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am usually by myself, although my wife has joined a few times to sit on the back porch and drink a few beers and soak up some sun. My kids can't sit still for more than 60 seconds so they are not around.

Now when the dinner bell sounds, EVERYONE magically appears.

I go it alone. Everone stays out of the way until the snacks are done, Stuffed Jap's and such. It's nice to hear the comments when the Q come in the house for the feed.

Isn't that an old George Thoroughgood and the Delaware Destroyers song?...
"I smoke alone... With nobody else... Whenever I smoke alone, I prefer to be by myself"!

Actually.. it depends for me.. I don't mind smoking with my teammate since he knows how I like to do stuff. My wife is usually around, but not involved, and my dog just wags his tail a lot, but he's there, too.

Like everybody said, I do it mostly alone but have others over part of the time.

One time something magical happened. Every Sept a large group of friends and I get together at a campground for the bow hunting opening weekend and last year I decided to take my smoker and smoke some Q. I had got there a couple days early so as to have everything ready and the night of the smoke half the campground showed up at my camp site. It wasn't any noise I was making but the smell of the Q smoking that got them all up and they couldn't go back to sleep so we turned it into a party. That's the most people I've had that stayed with me for the cook. Course my friends got left out since I ran out of Q before they got there.

Wildcat said:
Like everybody said, I do it mostly alone but have others over part of the time.

One time something magical happened. Every Sept a large group of friends and I get together at a campground for the bow hunting opening weekend and last year I decided to take my smoker and smoke some Q. I had got there a couple days early so as to have everything ready and the night of the smoke half the campground showed up at my camp site. It wasn't any noise I was making but the smell of the Q smoking that got them all up and they couldn't go back to sleep so we turned it into a party. That's the most people I've had that stayed with me for the cook. Course my friends got left out since I ran out of Q before they got there.

Behold the power of Q!!!:grin:

I also smoke alone (don't have any friends here in MN, don't want any). I prepare it, I smoke it, I eat it alone. My wife could care less about BBQ and even less about eating it.
Come to think of it, why the heck am I doing this? Cuz I like da far!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!
Crazy ed

It doesnt matter to me alone or with good friends around as long as im Q'ing im happy even happier with beer in hand.

Typically go it alone. For some reason, my family and neighbors have this burning sensation to open the pit door and look at the meat every time someone new gets there. Leave it the fark alone!!!! I snapped at one of them one time and my wife yelled at me for not being a gracious host.....

Best time in the world is dragging the sleeping bag out to the lounge chairs at 1am and firing up the pit. No sound except the crickets and whatever is on the headphones. If only GW Bush would show up at that time, I've usually got all the problems of the world solved within an hour or two.....

Bigmista said:
Do you prefer to smoke alone and serve to a group later or do you like people hanging out with you while you smoke?

either or..never turn company away no matter what the time but usually the only ones around in the middle of the night are my team mates ...
i

I usually have one or two of my sons out there with me. My middle son Brian is my official fire starter. He has chimney ignition down to a science. My 3yr old is the official taster. My oldest has discovered girls and is obsessed with sports, so he just comes around to chow down.

I'm usually smoking alone unless it's for a big family or friends event. In those cases, anyone that comes over early will join me outside if it's nice weather.

Great thread. It seems to be a mix. We all like our time alone but the reason we cook is to share and bring people together. I would love to take on a green horn and have someone around to BS with when things get real slow. My brother will be coming out late this summer and I think I will get to spend some quality time with him over the somker. He is very excited about the whole process and loves Q. I know I can get him to camp out by the smoker and watch the stars. It's all good!

I like the solitude of the early morning when I'm first starting, then after things have been going for a good while, when friends are coming over, I like to socialize a bit while I tend the fire. Now, that's only for certain friends that come over. If they're like my wife and could care less about true BBQ and think that a McRib is pure nurvana, well, then.......
The only downside to being here in Florida is that it's so damn hot from mid day on unitl later at night that it's not really a good place to be able to hangout outside. Not to mention the 1000 plus per person mosquito quotant that happens shortly after sunset.
About the only other person near me that I knwo of that loves BBQ like I do is Ray (DrBBQ), now if he ever decided to drop by, now that could be a moment of pure zin. But he's too busy doing it for real and he's way over my head in the arena to even ge close to (But I will buy him a Drink if I ever run into him at Molly's) I swear to that.

Fark, Wished I had my old BBQ buddy back here in Michigan. When he worked here he cut some deal w/the local tv station. We did 2 cooks for them basically advertising for the company he worked for. We did prep and cooking at I believe it was 5am thru 8am. We did all this on air live along w/the weatherman. We had a great time then we gave the food to the tv staff. His company supplied the meat. Now he has moved to Sin City where he works for some lil place called Wynns. We had many many hours of fun together. Dang I miss him. But like the rest of you guys, nowadays Id rather go it alone. My friends name is BBQWizard. Maybe some of you guys have heard of him.
Mike

I like to show guests my smoker and toys, then usher them into the parlor to sip tea and talk with the family while I periodically pop in and out to check on dinner. That's when I like it best 'cause everyone is in there I can hear them in the distance but I'm alone with my fire and smoke. AAhhh!

Smoking time alone is my favorite.... With a really active 2.5 yr old daughter, wife and a busy job etc... not much time for relaxing most of the week... so whenever the chance to have a long period of time to yourself is comes along, I like to take it... Still, getting more time cooking with my brother in law to practice comps is great too... Less thinking, just louder music and more beer...

Not much better than getting the pit going, sitting down in front of it and just thinking about stuff....sometimes important stuff, sometimes just random, oddball stuff that makes no sense but still comes into your head.

Back