Smoking accessories for a kettle

Drog

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Darren
So I have a Napoleon pro kettle with cart and I want to get some smoking accessories for it and see how well I can make it work as a smoker. I already have a thick quarter sheet baking pan and a roasting rack from an oval Cobb Supreme I can repurpose for indirect grilling/smoking, but I would really like to maximize the space on the grill so I was thinking about getting a WSM charcoal ring and the Hunsaker WSM Heat Diffusing Vortex Plate that fits on it. My kettle has an expansion ring with adjustable rack positions so I don't think space would be a concern but I wanted to hear thoughts from the experts before I jump down this path as I am fairly inexperienced with charcoal. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Have you looked at the Slow-N-Sear charcoal baskets? One has a fixed water compartment (that can be left empty), and the second has a removable water compartment so you can use more charcoal if you are not using water.

Have you looked at the Slow-N-Sear charcoal baskets? One has a fixed water compartment (that can be left empty), and the second has a removable water compartment so you can use more charcoal if you are not using water.

Yes, and it's very tempting. There are few issues with it though. One, the top vent on my kettle is in the center like a kamado so I can't pull the heat across the meat (though I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes in a kettle). The second issue is it takes up rack space. The third issue is I want to be able to do 12 hour runs without refilling if possible and I'm not sure the SnS will do that.

if that riser is fairly tall, there is no good reason that it would not be a workable smoker. Will it do 12 hours without a cumbersome fuel refill? /shrug. Might depend on how hot you run and how well you can pack that ring.

The slow n sear- does rob you of half your grate, but fuel refills are pretty easy if you have the flip up ends on your grate.

Back