Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Smokin in the Junction, West Des Moines IA May 29-30

Question - I'm not familiar with Valley Junction. Is there a competitor entrance and if so, what intersection?

Looks like the website took down some info for competitors, now the info focuses on the public. I don't recall getting this info yet from the organizer. Did I miss it?

KC_Bobby said:
Question - I'm not familiar with Valley Junction. Is there a competitor entrance and if so, what intersection?

Looks like the website took down some info for competitors, now the info focuses on the public. I don't recall getting this info yet from the organizer. Did I miss it?
Last year we entered on Maple from various directions. Brian said there will be multiple entrances.

Anyone know the 3 locations teams will be parked in? Here's a Google map of the area. I assume the big lot along 6th street between Elm and Maple is one area. If each team gets 4 parking spots (pull through) that lot can get 20-25 teams in it.

Attachments

• vj map.jpg
    vj map.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 53
Bob, I drove by there last night. Pretty big parking lot. I would guess he will park us like the North KC contest where you are in in a parking stall taking up a couple spots. If we are parked like BBQlossal then there is only room for 4 teams between the medians. With almost 50 teams that may only get 30 teams on the pavement. Now, there is a grass lot that is kitty corner from the southwest side. That I believe is overflow and so is some street parking.

Any body know if turn ins will be in the same spot as last year? Hopefully you can cut threw the building if so, otherwise it looks like a long walk.

Just to address a few concerns I've seen in this thread today. We've been given permission by the City for a lot more space to accomodate the additional teams. The contest is not on 5th street like last year. Since all the spaces are the same size we have not pre-assigned spaces. You will get slotted in as you arrive and we will publish the map once all are settled in. There are three areas where teams will be placed with multiple entrances to each - should avoid the bottleneck we had last year with only one entrace to the cooking area. If your vehicle does not fit in the 40x15 space, there is another parking lot nearby as well as street parking available. Maps of the area went out with the cook's confirmation. You can PM me if you need another copy. The noon opening is part of the deal we made with the local merchants and police department with respect to closing 6th street. Payouts are being adjusted updwards since we are paying out all entry fees plus $5,000 in checks, trophies and ribbons. The final payout schedule will be in the cooks packet. Did I miss anyone's questions? Thanks for your interest and see you on Saturday!

Brian,
I have a few questions.

1. Do we all have to check in at the 6th and Maple and then we will be directed to the spots?

2. Are all of the spots on pavement or are some on the grass?

Rod, I've never been to NKC - but I assume our spaces will be about 2 parking spaces wide and both parking spaces long to make 40' which will make all spaces pull though. Which will be important with a lot of teams pulling in right about the same time.

Rod, I've never been to NKC - but I assume our spaces will be about 2 parking spaces wide and both parking spaces long to make 40' which will make all spaces pull though. Which will be important with a lot of teams pulling in right about the same time.

And those of us who need extra help backing into even not so small spaces.:becky:

Ryan, we all need help backing up at night in a downpour - especially when you're trying to get within inches of a Hummer.

Good news for the Castens ... no travel this weekend! So I may be hangin around if anyone needs a dish washer or trash hauler, I can be had cheap.

Any body know if turn ins will be in the same spot as last year? Hopefully you can cut threw the building if so, otherwise it looks like a long walk.

I wasn't there last year. Where are the turn ins going to be? And will 6th street be blocked off? I'm assuming so since they plan to put teams there.

Info I saw put us in the 100 block so that would have us between Railroad Ave and Maple St.

Last year 6th was closed, that's where they had the stage, vendors, inflatables, etc. Looks like it will be nice weather

Last year 6th was closed, that's where they had the stage, vendors, inflatables, etc. Looks like it will be nice weather

It was 5th that was closed last year. We will be in the lots next to 6th from what I understand.

Thanks to Brian for getting all that were on the waiting list into the comp. Going from 30 to over 50 does make for some logistical nightmares.

Thank God I will not be flying solo this year. See you all on Saturday.

Doug, if you are look for a place to hang out, stop by, we will have at least one bottle of Maker's Mark.

if anybody could use some rookie help Saturday night or Sunday........i volunteer. not a competition guy, just a back yard smoker, but i would be glad to pitch in where needed if anyone needs an extra hand.

if anybody could use some rookie help Saturday night or Sunday........i volunteer. not a competition guy, just a back yard smoker, but i would be glad to pitch in where needed if anyone needs an extra hand.

Don't need an extra hand but your welcome to swing by say hey.

Back