Central TX Style Turkey Breast

Thats a pretty moist looking piece of Turkey, I almost could be tempted

Looks great i'll have to check my local business center again. Those turkey breasts come out great but they are tricky to find around where i live and can be way too expensive.

Looks great i'll have to check my local business center again. Those turkey breasts come out great but they are tricky to find around where i live and can be way too expensive.

Thanks!

Your best bet is Costco business. I've seen some frozen breast here and they're but they're real tiny and cost a stupid amount as you mentioned.

Best way to cook turkey, IMO & you killed it! :clap2:

This is pretty similar to how Bigmista would cook turkey, too - that was my first introduction to TX style turkey and it made a huge impression on me.

Excellent work as always, Sako!

... I didn't inject because it already had 15% solution pumped in. I smoked at 275 then bumped to 375 last hour. I wanted to get some smoke in and it was easy since it was poultry and I was using 100% hickory from Lumberjack.

I still inject enhanced turkey breast, just in moderation. Since they usually have salt, broth sugar and phosphate, I like to use an injection with seasonings... like Oakridge Game Changer, or Kosmo's Chicken Soak. Or, I'll shoot some lo-sodium chicken broth with a little finishing rub dissolved in it.

How are you liking the Lumberjack pellets? The smaller 100% flavor wood dealers are slowly going away and I need to test cook with some new brands. I mostly use them mixed into charcoal, and in the pellet tubes.

Looks good. Not sure exactly why its "central TX style" though. To me it looks like some really good peppered smoked turkey breast.

The number one complaint about smoked turkey has always been the skin. Regular "Deli Turkey" is very popular, and once BBQ joints realized how good skinless turkey truly is, they went in that direction. As far as Texas style turkey, here is a great article that explains the history of turkey in Texas BBQ.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/best-turkey-in-texas/

Best way to cook turkey, IMO & you killed it! :clap2:

This is pretty similar to how Bigmista would cook turkey, too - that was my first introduction to TX style turkey and it made a huge impression on me.

Excellent work as always, Sako!

Thanks Greg!

So simple yet so good. Especially on the pellet pooper as I initially was going to put it in the stick burner.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I still inject enhanced turkey breast, just in moderation. Since they usually have salt, broth sugar and phosphate, I like to use an injection with seasonings... like Oakridge Game Changer, or Kosmo's Chicken Soak. Or, I'll shoot some lo-sodium chicken broth with a little finishing rub dissolved in it.

How are you liking the Lumberjack pellets? The smaller 100% flavor wood dealers are slowly going away and I need to test cook with some new brands. I mostly use them mixed into charcoal, and in the pellet tubes.

I honestly thought about injection but figured the solution in it was good enough plus I was running short on time. Good to know and will def try it next time.

I really like the LJ and it's what I've been using since I got the Yoder in 2018. The previous owner said he didn't like LJ due to too much residue/dust but it hasn't been an issue for me at all. Not like the pellet dust goes on the food. I open the deflector access door and just vacuum before each cook. That's it. It hasn't impeded the functionality of the cooker in any way plus I like the choice of having 100% woods that I can personally mix depending on what I'm smoking/cooking.

I honestly thought about injection but figured the solution in it was good enough plus I was running short on time. Good to know and will def try it next time.

I really like the LJ and it's what I've been using since I got the Yoder in 2018. The previous owner said he didn't like LJ due to too much residue/dust but it hasn't been an issue for me at all. Not like the pellet dust goes on the food. I open the deflector access door and just vacuum before each cook. That's it. It hasn't impeded the functionality of the cooker in any way plus I like the choice of having 100% woods that I can personally mix depending on what I'm smoking/cooking.

I was more curious about the flavor. I don't have a pellet cooker, I use pellets for flavor only mixing some in with charcoal. I also use them in my fish smoker, and for cold smoking hams and bacon.

I was more curious about the flavor. I don't have a pellet cooker, I use pellets for flavor only mixing some in with charcoal. I also use them in my fish smoker, and for cold smoking hams and bacon.

Ohh I got it. Just re read your post. Fruit woods have faint smoke taste but it's there. Now Oak and especially hickory flavors are more pronounced.

Sako.......You are da man! That looks incredible. I will be giving that a go in the near future. Thanks for sharing your cook and results.8)

Sako.......You are da man! That looks incredible. I will be giving that a go in the near future. Thanks for sharing your cook and results.8)

Thanks Jason!

You have to try it. I know I must've said this a million times on this thread but this is it for me from now on as far as turkey goes.

outstanding.....I do TB all the time. Easy and wonderful leftovers to put in freezer to be microwaved later......Wonderful post!!

Thanks Jason!

You have to try it. I know I must've said this a million times on this thread but this is it for me from now on as far as turkey goes.

I like the conviction.... but something to think about is pastramied turkey breast. I now do it skinless but still inject and use pastrami seasoning in lieu of all pepper or garlic pepper. This ARTICLE is dated, but still has all the basics. I need to bring it up to date next time I make one.

I keep looking at their thread and convinced myself to give it a whirl this weekend on the workhorse stick burner. Hopefully it comes out close to yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back