Smoked Steelhead w/pron

forrest2906

Knows what a fatty is.
I got a thermapen for Christmas and wanted to test it. I had a suspicion that my ET-732 was a little off. I read a post yesterday about some being off by about 10-15 degrees. So I smoked some steelhead last night and found mine to not be as true as the thermapen ( DUH )
guess thats what I get for being a newbie.

1.5 hrs apple smoke
6-8 hours in TK's brine
rinse and let dry on counter for 2 hours
brown sugar misting then into smoker
Adding some pron for your critique....sorry you can not taste it :)

Brine I got from a TK post: ( I did not have the ingredients with the *** )
---------------------------

tommykendall
07-26-2007, 09:53 AM
This is what I do - it is good... very good.

For 5-6# of Tuna

2 C. Water
3 C. Apple Juice
1 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Honey
1/2 C Soy Sauce
3/4 C. Kosher Salt
***1/8+ C Molasses
***1/8+ C Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
3 Bay Leaves

Adjust your measurements proportionately for the amount of fish you use.

Mix all the above into a large non corrosive stock pot and dissolve well.

Cut your skinless tuna loins into the size of tennis balls to almost fist-size.

Put the tuna into the brine and let soak completely covered for about 6 hours. You should weight the filets down to completely submerge them in the brine. Use a plate or something similar for that.

When the brining is complete, remove the tuna, rinse with cold water, fan cool for about 1-2 hours hours, then dredge the tuna chunks in light brown sugar.

Preheat the smoker to no more than 200 degrees. I like160-190 degree range. Lay your tuna chunks on the cooker racks with a little separation between pieces. Cook for about 90-120 minutes, turning over once in the process (leaves nice black grill marks). I don't know what the internal temp of the fish should be when done. (maybe 140 or so). The duration of the cooking time averages 90-120 minutes but really depends on the size of your individual fish chunks and pit temperature.

Remove and let rest at room temperature before packaging and eating.

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 126
  • fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 128
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
1.5 hrs apple smoke
6-8 hours in TK's brine

Who the hell is TK, and WTF is TK's brine?

Wow, what an honor after being away so long to see myself mentioned. I however can't take credit for that base brine. I need to find out where I got it from although how do I know that it was "His" concoction to start with?

Anyway, I have added a couple nice touches to that brine for salt water species. And thanks again.

Looks absolutely fabulous. How'd you test the thermometers? You can get a 10-15* variation sticking the same piece of meat. Boiling water is pretty consistent, but you can still get a couple degree variation with that too, depending on how you do it.

Who the hell is TK, and WTF is TK's brine?

Wow, what an honor after being away so long to see myself mentioned. I however can't take credit for that base brine. I need to find out where I got it from although how do I know that it was "His" concoction to start with?

Anyway, I have added a couple nice touches to that brine for salt water species. And thanks again.

Holy fark, TK's back! :hail: :becky:

Forrest, that steelie looks phenomenal! Sending that to the wife at work. :)

Back