Smoked Statchcock Chicken

PBOB

Hello all! Introduced myself in Cattle Call earlier and thought I would post pics from this afternoon's cook. I used Chicken Sh1t rub for the first time (not bad). Smoked it for about 1.5 hours at about 300.

The Fatty is my first attempt and my 17 year old almost ate the entire thing by himself.

I do have a question, when smoking Chicken what do I need to be using to keep the skin more moist. The pics I have seen on here have a more glossy appearance than what I achieved. Also, suggestions on rubs would be appreciated.

Anyhow, lemme know what you think. Oh and I am new at this, hopefully the pic will post.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 193
You can always give a spritz with some apple juice. Rub the chicken down with olive oil before cooking also helps. Good lookin chicken

Very nice, don't worry about it not having a gloss, like rocky branch bbq said, as long as it tastes great who cares. There are a lot of people who don't care for sauce on their chicken.

I do not want sauce on my chicken I also cook at 325-350 as I dont want too much smoke in the chicken Love Spatchcock

Very nice, don't worry about it not having a gloss, like rocky branch bbq said, as long as it tastes great who cares. There are a lot of people who don't care for sauce on their chicken.

Ok, MadMan, I think you solved the riddle. No, I did not sauce the chicken. Cutting way back on carbs for the next few months and most every sauce I have seen has sugars.

I coat the skin with olive oil before the rub. Helps the skin crisp and it helps get that look you want. I cook chicken a little hotter too.

Your birds look great...:thumb: The type of wood and rub will impact color, sauces and mopping will add sheen. When I use SPGO along with pecan wood it comes out very light and golden. I dry out my chicken skin in the fridge before my birds go into the smoker and that seems to help with crispy skin.

Back