Smoked some marlin tonight

That looks great never had Marlin but I`d be willing to try that.. BTW aren`t you originally from AZ Crash?
Yes and no. I was living in AZ when I sold you the smoker. I was born and raised in Hawaii and recently moved back home.

I figured I'd take some flack for my post, but I stand by it on general principles. it is true some will die from swallowing the hook and they should be utilized. it's also true that many will NOT die from being caught and should be released.

I'm a forester by trade, so I've personally been responsible for the deaths of MANY trees...not exactly a tree hugger. I'm also a trapper...no hippie tendencies, here.

marlin are in decline and need conservation measures to ensure their survival, it's that simple.

I did not attack the OP personally...just tried to educate him.

Last I checked, this was a BBQ site...not a save the farking fishies site. I appreciate what you THINK you were trying to do, but no need for you to waste your time.

Now, I'm off to buy more marlin (yes, from Hawaiian waters). Oddly enough, it's 100% legal to purchase it and consume it. Wierd! :-D

Have a great day!

Last I checked, this was a BBQ site...not a save the farking fishies site. I appreciate what you THINK you were trying to do, but no need for you to waste your time.

Now, I'm off to buy more marlin (yes, from Hawaiian waters). Oddly enough, it's 100% legal to purchase it and consume it. Wierd! :-D

Have a great day!

Keep it Phriendly Brother,some people just like to know where their Phood comes Phrom and how it is treated.
Allthough canis latrans may not be right with his facts it's worth to do some research and come with Phacts.
Over here we can't eat too much eel....but I get me a couple smoked ones once in a while.:thumb:

I did not say you were right or wrong,...just come up with facts to convince the rest.
But if we're gonna discuss this further maybe we should open another thread.

There is nothing against the law that says you can not keep, or eat, a marlin...even on the East Coast.

If you have a problem, lobby your representatives in D.C.

Marlin is a staple in the Hawaiian islands.

Hi there... Now I admit I know diddlysquat about smoking red meat but fish is another story.
I prefer to sit it in chunks, fillets, split fish.... however y'all got it ..in a chillybin/esky/cooler full of ice slurry overnght. I make a brine of salt and brown sugar, stir it together well, just enough of each so that y'all can taste in in the water... not too salty that you want to spit it out, not too sweet either... no measurements its just got to taste right.. slightly sweet with a hint of salt. It pays to check again a few hours after making it just to confirm... stick the finger in the brine, lick, contemplate, add a little of whatever is missing, if its too salty add water...

If I'm using salt ice I dont add salt but I prefer to add home made tap water ice from the freezer. I 1/3 fill with water, enough to drown the fish, then top it up with ice. As the ice melts the brine gets weaker. Come morning I just take the fillets outa the slurry, youre hands will about drop off from cold water if'n you have it right. Then set them on racks to dry for a bit, it gets a dry sheen on after a while (pellicle??) then into the smoker for about 2 3/4 hours with the smoker hot enough to hold the hand on top and count to 12 (last few numbers said very quickly:-D) Just open it up and pinch a few bits for quality testing and youll know when its done.

Somehow beer helps it all work out better. Put it together with friends and y'all gonna have a great time.

Sorry I dont do any exact measurements, temp or times.. its all just trial and error and practise till perfect n eat all the failures.

Remember this little poem i just writ..

Brine not too salty, not too sweet,
smoker nowhere as hot as BBQ meat,
makes the best fish you ever did eat.

Salty brine helps preserve meat but also gently draws off stray blood n guts.

Been doing it for 35 yrs like this, its the best.. lost lotsa fish to spoilage till I figured on filling it with ice. We get too many for sticking them in the fridge.. honest!!!

Regds
Muzza in N.Z.

That's good stuff, Murray. I don't know that I've ever tasted a brine, thinking it would be too nasty to want to...

Great post!

actually, I AM right about the severe decline in striped marlin populations...see the link that otterpop graciously provided.

Maybe you should just start your own thread, instead of raining on this one?? Marlin may be in decline, but DAR does monitor all the intake of fish in the Hawaiian fisheries.
You're pretty new here (10 or so posts) and we're a great bunch!:p But maybe, the way you came off and presented your concern needs a tweak.
You didn't sound, well brethen-ly!!??

Maybe you should just start your own thread, instead of raining on this one?? Marlin may be in decline, but DAR does monitor all the intake of fish in the Hawaiian fisheries.
You're pretty new here (10 or so posts) and we're a great bunch!:p But maybe, the way you came off and presented your concern needs a tweak.
You didn't sound, well brethen-ly!!??

Great idea Roy. I started it up for canis latrans here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1644255#post1644255

Enjoy! :becky:

Great idea Roy. I started it up for canis latrans here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1644255#post1644255

Enjoy! :becky:

I agree. All further discussion about conservation efforts should be tackled in the new thread listed above. Any further discussion related to conservation, name calling, quoting of references, etc will be permanently moved to the new thread or scrubbed completely. I seriously doubt that the OP wanted to create this type of discussion when he started the thread. There is a place for everything. Let's keep it food related here.

BTW...I'd hit that! My wife and I had our fill of all kinds of seafood when we honeymooned in Maui! I had some fantastic moon fish and sashimi up there. Not to mention, I found it interesting how expensive beef, chicken and pork was in the grocery stores. All of the stuff we can't get fresh here (seafood) or hafta pay out the nose for was being sold for pennies in the grocery stores. We cooked many times on the poolside gasser at the hotel and beach parks and we gorged on the fresh, tasty and inexpensive seafood that we were able to buy in the grocery stores. We had TONS of mahimahi and I ate my weight in ahi sashimi. We want to go back SOSOSOSOSSO bad. If I could get seafood like that on a daily basis, you bet I'd be eating it EVERYDAY. :thumb: I also remember my wife having some opakapaka at a restuarant that she still raves about today.
Bob

I agree. BTW...I'd hit that! My wife and I had our fill of all kinds of seafood when we honeymooned in Maui! I had some fantastic moon fish and sashimi up there. Not to mention, I found it interesting how expensive beef, chicken and pork was in the grocery stores. All of the stuff we can't get fresh here (seafood) or hafta pay out the nose for was being sold for pennies in the grocery stores. We cooked many times on the poolside gasser at the hotel and beach parks and we gorged on the fresh, tasty and inexpensive seafood that we were able to buy in the grocery stores. We had TONS of mahimahi and I ate my weight in ahi sashimi. We want to go back SOSOSOSOSSO bad. If I could get seafood like that on a daily basis, you bet I'd be eating it EVERYDAY. :thumb:
Bob

If only that was true now!! Fresh fish prices here are crazy high!! I have a hard time buying it! I think its because I grew up eating all the fresh fish I wanted, whenever I wanted, Ahi, Marlin, Mahi Mahi, Wahoo etc... for FREE!! My dad, and uncles were fisherman... how I miss those days!
I just had some Ahi (yeallowfin tuna) burritos that was to die for! It was served with some sort of Jalapeno, light cream sauce...

Crash, it looks good to me. But, I think you should know. You should not be using Kosher Salt. There's not a lot left to go around. You know how many Rabbis it takes to bless even one box of Kosher Salt? I say, "No Kosher Salt on your Menu".

more for me, that way :)

Going to my room now...

Your fish still looks good.

This was 11 years ago, so I'm sure prices have gone up. But I remember buying 1lb tubs of fresh mussels and single portion sized fillets of fish for literally 3 bucks or so each. We raided the seafood counter at the grocery store EVERYDAY for the week and half that we were there. We loved it! Seafood prices here are insane and it is nowhere near the freshness.

Back