Smoked Salmon Pizza - Lotsa Pr0n!

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
I talked in the Grilled Filet Mignon Pizza post that the Grillin’ Fools have been all about grilled pizzas lately. These aren’t your typical pizzas. Sure, I can thoroughly enjoy grilling and eating a pepperoni and sausage pizza, but it’s been done millions of times a week by the major pizza makers. This grilled pizza is a bit more exotic. It might take a little more to track down the ingredients, but it is so worth it.
Grilled Smoked Salmon Pizza Ingredients:
1 fresh crust, approximately 16 ounces, from Joe Boccardi’s
2 tbsp olive oil divided
5.2 oz of garlic and chive Boursin cheese
4 oz smoked salmon
1/2 medium red onion, diced
2 oz fresh dill sprigs
2 oz chive sprigs, rough chopped
zest of one lemon shaved with a micro plane
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0041.jpg
Ingredients

The crust was bought at one of our favorite pizza places just outside St. Louis, Joe Boccardi’s in Columbia, Illinois. In the Grilled Filet Mignon Pizza, we used a fresh dough ball that we had to knead and roll out into a crust. If there’s a place that makes great pizzas near you, ask if they will sell you the bare crusts. More often than not, they will. If not then you have to wonder why they can’t accommodate a customer.
Brush 1 tbsp of olive oil over the pizza crust while the Big Green Egg gets up to temp:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0051.jpg
Brush the oil on

But don’t be tempted to oil all but the edges as we almost did here:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0091.jpg
Don’t skip the edges

That works if you are grilling the pizza crust only on one side, like putting the sauce on and leaving the edges exposed. But that pizza crust is going to go right over a 400 degree grill and the edges of the pizza crust will burn fast. So make sure to oil it edge to edge, side to side:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0101.jpg
Completely oiled

Get the grill ready for the pizza by setting the internal temp at 400 degrees. In this case it’s on the Big Green Egg:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0501.jpg
Big Green Egg

A closer look at the thermometer:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0521.jpg
400 degrees

Be sure to clean the grill grates really well before putting the pizza crust on the grill, oiled side down:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0151.jpg
Crust on the grill

This only takes a few minutes to brown the bottom side of the grilled pizza crust, depending on the heat of the grill. Oil the other side:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0161.jpg
Oiled and bubbling almost immediately

In under 2 minutes, the grilled pizza crust starts to bubble on the Big Green Egg:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0181.jpg
Looks like a lunar landing

Keep checking the underside of the grilled pizza crust, rotating if it is cooking faster on one side an not the other. In this case, after four minutes it was cooked through for the most part and I pulled it from the Big Green Egg, but it could’ve been rotated for another 60-90 seconds as the bottom left of the grilled pizza crust in the below picture is not as done as the upper right:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0231.jpg
Crust, off the grill and flipped

Spoon the Boursin cheese on the grilled pizza crust:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0261.jpg
Spread the cheese

Soon after spreading the cheese, the heat of the crust will soften the cheese into a lovely soft paste:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0311.jpg
Boursin all over the crust

Now time for that smoked salmon:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0341.jpg
Smoked Salmon

Notice the little brow sections in the picture above. That is a little tough. It’s edible, but it takes away from the grilled smoked salmon pizza in both appearance and mouth feel. So avoid those spots as you pull layers of the salmon away and cover the Boursin:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0361.jpg
Smoked Salmon on the Pizza

Then spread the dill sprigs, chives, diced red onion and grated lemon zest over the grilled smoked salmon pizza:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0421.jpg
Topping are on

Then put the grilled smoked salmon pizza back on the Big Green Egg:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0531.jpg
On the Big Green Egg

After four minutes, the cheese is bubbling around the edge and all the ingredients are melted together nicely:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0651.jpg
Off the Big Green Egg

What to have with this pizza? My new fave cheap chard, 14 Hands. It may be inexpensive, but it is outstanding:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0811.jpg
Pizza and Chard

Time to slice:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0971.jpg
Slicing

Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-0911.jpg
Slicing

And this is me being enamored with the pizza cutter after we devoured the pizza. For some reason I thought this looked fantastic. So forgive my photographer moment as this adds nothing to the recipe, but I thought it was a cool picture:
Grilled-Smoked-Salmon-Pizza-1071.jpg
Artistic Moment

The fresh chives and dill, along with the chives in the cheese, perfectly compliment the smokey, sultry salmon, with a little tart from the lemon zest that goes so well with with smoked salmon. Prep is 10 minutes and cook time is 8. This is an outstanding pizza that you can wow your dinner guests with in under 20 minutes.

If you would like other grilled pizza recipes, click here.
Also, you can follow the Grillin’ Fools on their Facebook page where you can post your grilling pictures, share a grilling recipe or two, or join the general grilling conversation. You can follow them on Twitter @GrillinFool

Back