Smoked Salmon on the Egg Failure

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
George
I have a beautiful 3 lb salmon filet that I dry brined yesterday and let it sit in the fridge over night for the pellicle I coated it with syrup and black pepper this AM I had the Egg set for 150* Fire went out the 1st time and after I restarted it the temp went to 180 the 216 and after I shut it down 260* This has happened a few times in the past but is rare even with a bad gasket If I cant get the temp down and under control in a few hrs is there any reason why I cant wrap and freeze it and cook another day Part of this was an XMas gift to my D-I-L who loves my smoked salmon This was a fresh filet from a reliable seafood store

I did some candied salmon a few years ago and used an old coffee can (paint burnt off before the first use!) to limit the available fuel. Mixed in some wood for smoke and lit off the top with a Looftlighter to burn down.
I was able to get a consistent 150 deg temps indirect. I didn't have to choke down on the inlet damper to the point the fire would go out.
The salmon was excellent and stored vacuum wrapped and refrigerated very well. Need to find some salmon on sale again!!!

The gasket on the Egg has been in pretty lousy condition for several years Would I be better off scrapping off the remnants That may make the lid and base even when lid closed

I dont want to try to replace it in the winter I know part of one gasket is in bad shape and has been It has not been a problem If you look at it you can see a gap between the top and bottom Again it is not usually a problem like today

Ok
My Akorn had a way of backing off the hinges and allowing the top to settle on the bottom
Is that an option?

I dont know Titch I am going to look and see if one of the gaskets is ok and maybe take off the other I think the top and bottom would close Ok without the gasket I have heard of people cooking without the gasket

Gave up on the idea of smoking it today Temp would not drop in the Egg enough to start over It is well wrapped in saran, foil and zip lock freezer bags Will try again another day

The Egg does not have a problem with maintaining heat. My problem today eas I could not keep the heat down and could not get it back down

I dont know Titch I am going to look and see if one of the gaskets is ok and maybe take off the other I think the top and bottom would close Ok without the gasket I have heard of people cooking without the gasket

My LBGE has not had gaskets in over 10 years.Guess I am one of the lucky ones my top and bottom fit fine without them.I had trouble keeping my egg under 250f.That is just where it liked to run.I put in a charcoal ring out of a 14 inch Weber WSM so I had a smaller fire.It works pretty good for lower heat.Sometimes I add a pan of ice under the grill grate and on top of the plate setter if I want low temps.Just a thought.

The Egg does not have a problem with maintaining heat. My problem today eas I could not keep the heat down and could not get it back down

It is much easier to stall the heat on the way up in a ceramic smoker than to cool it down after it has overheated.You can increase heat much easier than decreasing it in a ceramic cooker.

George, I would replace the gasket. Scrape off the remnants with a putty knife and/or razor blade, use something like acetone to remove the residue. The winter temps aren't that severely cold yet that a warm enough day won't occur to install a new gasket. You can always warm the surface with a heat gun or torch for the glue to adhere.

I wouldn't risk running a ceramic grill without a gasket for fear of chipping the surfaces when closing the dome.

I'd have to look back through my posts but I think I replaced the gasket on the Goldens' last winter. It adhered just fine with the weight of the lid and subsequent cooks heating it up.

I burned my BGE gasket off the first week doing pizzas. It's a major PIA to replace the gaskets IMO.

I designed a gasket that is removable. Whenever I do high heat cooks now, I simply remove it;

qx9eLc.jpg

lMERRI.jpg

I have been able to run it at 150* usually without a problem. When the weather improves I will inspect the gasket more closely and see I think I need to do. Not sure why the temps got away from me. It just kept climbing by itself. Thanks for the advice. If I have to change the gasket I will when weather improves

Back