Smoked Mac N Cheese recipes???

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
I have long been looking for the macaroni and cheese recipe to put in my arsenal. Have tried some and they have been so-so. I tried Malcolm Reed's smoked mac n cheese and it was okay, but definitely not the one! I have seen Kosmos Q's recipe and am thinking about trying it. Anybody on here found "THE RECIPE" for it?

5a5cf5ca7744f3db2d823a272a161ef7.jpg
270cd736d5d4eef93ea28f81f19af1b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do like Malcom Reed's recipe the best. Perhaps what you should do is use the same base recipe, but try different cheeses?

Myron Mixon says the secret is plenty of butter, and I'm going to test that theory soon. I kind of tend to agree, because I think I have always focused on the cheese too much.

This is my go-to smoked mac and cheese recipe. I've cooked it several times and it's always been a crowd pleaser:

Sweetie Pie’s Mac and Cheese – Recipe by TuscaloosaQ:

1 lb. Elbow macaroni
1 cup whole milk
2 12 oz. cans evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup butter cut to small pieces
½ lb. Colby cheese grated
½ lb. Monterey jack grated
½ lb. Sharp cheddar grated
1 lb. Velveeta cut into small pieces
1 cup sour cream
Salt to taste
1tbsp white pepper
1tbsp sugar
1 cup grated mild cheddar for topping

Heat the smoker to 275. Prepare a deep sided 9x13 pan by coating with cooking spray. Set aside. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add salt and macaroni and cook by package instructions until tender. Drain well and transfer to baking pan. While the macaroni is cooking combine the milks and eggs in a large bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Add the butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, sugar and stir to combine. Top with the mild cheddar and and smoke 1½ to 2 hours uncovered.

8ia1B7Uh.jpg

UAYyBlrh.jpg

I know it may not be what you're after, but how about regular home-made mac and cheese, only using smoked cheese and other smoked ingredients? Every time I bring Mac and cheese to a potluck or to sell, folks always compliment the smokiness...

My go to is silly simple - all the kids in the pool at once (no roux preboil etc)

You just throw it all in a pan and then on the smoker. Not life changing but damned solid and easy when doing big cooks... folks look forward to it. modified from recipe on another forum I found yrs ago...

-1lb dried noodle of your choice (elbows spirals shells etc)
-1/2 stick butter (kerrigold herb really good here)
-32 oz chicken (or veg) stock- can use whole milk if you like it richer...
-16 oz heavy whipping cream
-1lb shredded cheese; usually split b/w a cheddar and jack or Colby jack or Mexican blend... tinker to your taste.... + a touch of velveta you like the gooey (kids) or touch of Parmesan for more savory (what I like)
-salt to taste (I usually don’t add any)
-fresh cracked black pepper
-tin foil half pan
-chopped onion garlic hot peppers etc per your taste and your audieNice...

Really just throw it all in stir and on the cooker. Stir a few times and it pull when noodles done. Usually ~2.5hrs if rolling @275 or so. Can double in full pan, 1/2 it in 1/4 pan..

Last edited:
I make smoked mac and cheese from scratch from time to time using my wife’s recipie.

You make a light roux with butter an wondera flower. Once the roux is to your liking, add milk and diced onions and once the onions start getting soft, add the cheese. Mix with cooked macaroni. Put in a pan, put an extra layer if shredded cheese on top and sprinkle with Italian breadcrumbs. Bake until it looks gorgeous. Serve with a side of Del Monte brand stewed tomatoes. This is one of my favorite winter meals.

If You put this in the smoker you will find that the smoke flavor will not make it into the center of the mac and cheese unless you stir it occasionally. My solution is to use smoked cheese when making the mac and cheese. I find a 50/50 ratio of non smoked and smoked cheese works best for me and I put a layer of non smoked cheese on top since that will get smoked anyway.

I have to admit if I’m just making smoked mac and cheese for myself, I just get a frozen Single serve mac and cheese from the supermarket and throw it in the smoker with the ribs.

I used to make a good cheap and easy “bulk feed” mac and cheese for large (50-100 people) bbqs using #10 cans of members mark cheddar cheeses sauce and milk. Unfortunately members mark cheddar cheese sauce sucks anymore so I stopped serving it.

Last edited:
Here is my sister in laws recipe. It’s the best I have ever had. I always have people want the recipe after they have it.

8 oz macaroni
2 lbs shredded cheese (1 ½ lbs cheddar, ½ Colby jack) – shred cheese yourself, do not buy pre shredded cheese (it taste much better this way)
1 cup mayo
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ onion, finely chopped
½ cup milk
Cheese its – crushed
½ cup melted butter

Preheat oven 350
Cook macaroni and drain. Combine 1st 6 ingredients. Put in large casserole dish. Top with crushed cheese its and pour melted butter over the top. Bake for 50-60 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ever try Malcohms' smoked lobster mac and cheese? It will change your life! Simply incredible. Only thing I do different is use high quality fusilli pasta. It holds up well to the richness of everything else.

Recommend working in the yard all the next day to clean out the arteries..

Back