Smoked Fatty Stew!

SmokeFan

Full Fledged Farker
Friday night I had a hankering for chili. I had read about people incorporating fatties into their chili and this seemed like a real good idea to me.

Some people in some parts of the country might refer to this as chili. For reasons that will become obvious, being from Texas, I cannot call it chili. I give thee "Smoked Fatty Stew".

Here's how it all went down:

First, I took a 1lb log of Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage and rubbed it with S&M Sweet and Spicy, then top rubbed it with Butcher's BBQ Honey Rub.

Next, I took 1 lb of organic ground beef formed it into a similar shape and rubbed it down with Rodak's Coffee Rub. I usually incorporate a little coffee in my chili, so this seemed like a good way to sneak some in.

IMG_8600_zpsebde8394.jpg

Then on to the BGE they went at 250 using Royal Oak and a couple chunks of cherry.

IMG_8601_zps6f092223.jpg

Next, I turned my attention to getting the base for the stew going. Chopped up fresh tomatoes, threw in the pot with garlic infused evoo, 2 TBS of New Mexico Red chili powder and a splash of a good balsamic. I simmered the tomatoes until they were a delicious lightly caramelized mess.

While the tomatoes simmered, and about an hour after first putting the fatties on, I put the rest of the ingredients for the stew on the BGE, wanting to absorb as much smoky goodness as possible. I added some hatch chiles, orange and yellow bell peppers, garlic, onions, and of course, bacon. Once all this got going, the smell was amazing...

IMG_8604_zps8537ac11.jpg

The veggies and bacon were roasted a bit before the fatties were done, so I took em inside and chopped em up. I then added them to the simmering tomatoes.

88C68A91-0688-416C-BDD9-0C158EAB49CD_zps9olfykv7.jpg

54ADBE7E-937C-4887-A406-094A003C5052_zpsh4arkzov.jpg

Yeah, there were 4 pieces of bacon originally. Not sure where that one piece ran off to...

And here's everyone in the pool, waiting on the fatties to arrive.

60BB1684-96D5-4692-9F0D-E311B1E8A709_zpsnu8lo5iq.jpg

Along with a can each of pinto beans, kidney beans and black beans. I also added 2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes, another TBS of New Mexico Red Chili powder, and 1 tbs of Ancho Chili powder.

1AD70A19-0668-423D-A9B8-8B93FEFC34F3_zpsilz3nbfo.jpg

The fatties took their sweet time, with the beef one taking the longest. I had to pull the sausage one first, once it hit 165, the beef one took quite a bit longer, and I finally pulled it at 155, figuring it was going to be simmering for a while anyway.

Got a nice smoke ring on both, and I swear the beef fatty tasted like chopped up brisket. Totally different texture, but the taste was there.

Sausage Fatty:

AF7ADD54-0E8E-463A-9106-B1817206334C_zpsbgsgruvf.jpg

Beef Fatty:

0373FCF7-BF9F-4613-BB57-FAA315317A2B_zpsn68xbjsi.jpg

Finally, everyone joins the party:

6D82A733-6B3E-48D9-BB22-1608A8C35995_zpslspg2s4w.jpg

And all plated up over fritos(Dont judge me!) with cheese, sour cream, and cast iron skillet baked cornbread.

C5AFA2C4-2795-4443-9382-887F3C743A0C_zpskrlr05uc.jpg

Gotta admit this "Smoked Fatty Stew" was pretty dadgum delicious. The smoke flavor was evident in every bite, not overpowering, but there nonetheless. It was big hit with everyone putting away at least two bowls, and the kids begging for more. Something I'll do again for sure. Thanks for looking!

Thanks for all the kind words! Sorry about the crappy iphone pics. Ive only cooked a few fatties, but I know there will be lots more!

Looks Awesome! Gonna make this for Super Bowl. How many fresh tomatoes did you use?

I just used 3 normal ole supermarket tomatoes because it's what I had on hand. In fact, I was really just winging the whole thing with what was on hand. That's the great thing about chili, er.. stew.... I probably make it half dozen times a year, different each time, and all good.

If I was going shopping to make it, I would probably try 4 or maybe 5 good roma tomatoes all diced up. Romas have less water, better flavor, and hold their texture better during the saute.

I did the tomatoes in two stages because while I like setting a base in the saute by cooking down the tomatoes, they cook down alot, and there's not much left of them in then end(though you can bet the flavor is there). Adding the canned diced tomatoes near the end allows you to still get some good tomato pieces, if you like like that.

Also, you might have to add some water along the way to adjust to how you like it. I prefer it pretty thick, so I drain and rinse the beans, sometimes use the whole can of tomatoes, sometimes drain first. I let the water come from the veggies, onions, peppers fresh tomatoes etc. Even so, I think this time I added a cup to maybe cup and 1/2 of water.

Good luck!

Back