Smoked Eggs??

OK, I'll ask. How are you smoking them? Do you put them in the smoker raw? How long are they cooked? Would be interested in trying this. Could make an interesting deviled egg if you could get past the peeling issue!

Looking forward to the results of this experiment.

Well, I tried several ways and found what worked best for me (as Skidder mentioned above) was boil and peel first. I put the peeled eggs in ice and water in the frige to get good and cold. I put 3/4 chimney full of lit coals on one side of OTG kettle with chunks of pecan and cherry smoke wood,I put the eggs on and some fingerling taters, installed the lid, closed the bottom vent almost all the way and let the temp come up real slow while the wood smoked the eggs, about 30 min., temp got to 250, I took the eggs off and put on 2 spatchocked cornish hens. We had the hens and taters for dinner yesterday. Today made egg salad with the smoked eggs and chopped up leftover cornish hen, little bit chopped onion, sweet relish cubes,mayo, S&P. I thought it was real tasty, good smokey flavor.

I never boil my eggs, I cook them in water just below the boiling point to keep the yolks from turning that greenish gray color that comes from overcooking. I do know that fresh raw eggs have a natural protective waxy coating that dissolves in hot water, that is why boiled eggs do not last as long as raw eggs. I would like to try smoking eggs. I just pickled a few jars last week, they turned out great.

I've not done smoked eggs, but we do hard boil a lot of eggs pretty regularly for salads and healthy breakfasts for the wife and I.

I know that if they are OVERcooked, they are a PIA to peel cleanly and (just as you described) the shells will want to take egg with them. But, when they are JUST boiled/cooked, they peel fine.

Also, I find it easier to peel under running water than dry.

Are you sure you're not overcooking them?

I never boil my eggs, I cook them in water just below the boiling point to keep the yolks from turning that greenish gray color that comes from overcooking.......

I only boiled for 10 minutes and then submurged in ice water, after smoking and chopping the yolk was all yellow, didn't have the green edge around yolk, was not rubbery either. I finally hit on what works for me.

I've been doing these for a while now. Starting with old eggs covered with water by an inch and a T of vinegar added to help with peeling. Bring to a boil, turn off the heat and let sit in the hot water for 12 minutes. Then into an ice bath for about 20 minutes. To peel, start at the large end. This system has worked well for me, the yokes do not turn green and they peel easily. For smoking I use the tin can & soldering iron system for about an hour depending on what type of wood I'm using. The last batch went into the pickle jar for smoked pickled eggs.

Preboiling isn't needed.
I think you can cook them indirect for about 40-45 min....don't know at what temp.

IMG_1947.jpg

Phubar,

Looks great... BTW, What are your eggs resting in? And where can they be purchased? Thanks!

They're just stainless steel egg holders.
I got them in a Christmas gift package from work years ago.
The first time I used them was to smoke eggs.:thumb:

Thanks for the info... a friend and I were trying a blanket search of the term "egg holder" and kept coming up with ones that were like porcelain. We couldn't think of the proper name! lol.

After searching for "stainless steel egg holder" we were coming up with better results!

Set of 6 on amazon (prime shipping) Amazon.com: Amco Egg Cup, Set of 6: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QDNEOxhAL.@@AMEPARAM@@41QDNEOxhAL

Set of 2 http://www.centralchef.com/storefro...aspx?sfid=123094&i=188816276&mpid=7714&dfid=1

Would the ones with the spring looking holder be better (maybe to get more smoke/heat in)?

Thanks for the info... a friend and I were trying a blanket search of the term "egg holder" and kept coming up with ones that were like porcelain. We couldn't think of the proper name! lol.

After searching for "stainless steel egg holder" we were coming up with better results!

Would the ones with the spring looking holder be better (maybe to get more smoke/heat in)?

I think this one will not allow much smoke to the egg but I could be wrong since I haven't tried it in a holder like that.
Maybe you can fabricate something out of the carton egg box...I've seen a Brethren use it to hold his ABT's upright.
Saves you the cleaning work afterwards.:thumb:

I have the "Grilling Bible" cookbook and in there is a recipe for smoked eggs. They say to pierce a hole in the egg and then place the egg in the smoker.
It doesn't explain why to pierce a hole.

When my wife peels her boiled eggs she hits them on the conter a couple of time and holds it under cold water and uses a spoon between the shell and meat. This might work well with the smoked eggs.

Smoked eggs peaked my interest so I made them. I hard boiled first, peeled and then smoked them for an hour. I made deviled eggs and an egg salad. Both were very delicious! The deviled eggs were not very pretty, but when they are that yummy who cares?

Last edited:
Back