Smoked Dove, Venison and Catfish

That's some great looking food, different. I heard that Yucca kind of tastes like a sweet potato. Have to give it a try.

Great looking meal, Cowgirl. Actually, had yucca last night, with the garlic and butter. Mmmm.

Looks great CG - Did you use anything in particular in your brine? I did some walleye last week in a generic fish brine I found online.

Yucca root? Never heard of that. What's the allure?

I love yucca!

Thing about this thread is that I know that I don't care for dove but the description and the pictures make me wanna try it again just to make sure. :p

Looks and sounds great!

One question... How do you get all the #8 shot out of the Dove? Every time I wind up with some... there is a pile of shot in my plate after the meal.

One question... How do you get all the #8 shot out of the Dove? Every time I wind up with some... there is a pile of shot in my plate after the meal.

annie oakley mod....one shot to the head with a .22 :wink:

Hey Cowgirl, that all looked great. I really like smoked catfish, although it's been a while since I've done any. Everything looked good! Nice job!

wow, looks AWESOME! way to go cowgirl! :) Wonder how walley would work in lieu of catfish? how long did that take on the smoker?

Mike, bet walleye would be great!

I'm a firm believer in the scientific method of checking fish....... I poke it to see if it's done. :biggrin:
This fish took a little over an hour.

Thanks again for the complements folks!!

Max, I do love yucca with garlic and butter...:cool:

Beerwolf, didn't have any shot in the breasts, but I do check them good while cleaning.

Chinese Bob, this was the first time I made this fish brine....I have used different mixtures in the past. I like this one, and will tweak it some more.

I used about 8 cups of water, 1/4 cup of kosher salt, garlic, onion powder, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1 bay leaf, several dashes of tabasco and some soy sauce.
Taste it and adjust how ever you like before brining the fish.

I should take exact measurements next time. lol

You shoot doves Cowgirl?

What kind of sick far.....

Hey! That looks really good! I'd shoot me some doves too if I didn't live in town. And could cook as good as you. And didn't have to face the wife for shooting doves.

You shoot doves Cowgirl?

What kind of sick far.....

Hey! That looks really good! I'd shoot me some doves too if I didn't live in town. And could cook as good as you. And didn't have to face the wife for shooting doves.

LOL Harbormaster...

Tommy, they do look a bit odd. :)... like little chicken breasts.

OSD, thanks!:cool:

Wow that looks really good. I have to admit......I'm not big on the "game" meat. I love fish but other than that I only eat venison from few people that I know cook it really well. Too many bad experiences...I guess.:lol:

Thanks Kim!
I know what you mean...I've had a few of those bad experiences too.:-D

Back