THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarbonToe said:
How about using Tumeric instead of the dye?

Or instead fry some onions until soft, add the garlic and fry a little, add tumeric to colour. Let to cool before mixing into the cheese (could substitute a mixture of grated and creamed cheese instead of just creamed?).

At the june bash, We mixed alot of shreaded mexican 3 cheese in with the cream cheese. The chedder cheese gave it enough yellow to look like an egg. Xczar made an awesome stuffing... hes gotta cough up the ingriedents.

I stuff mine with shredded pepper jack. I don't use cream cheese at all.

midnight said:
Tried a new recipe from the book "Peace Love and Barbecue".
They called it smoked armadillo eggs.

2 lbs uncooked sausage (like for a fatty)
Jalapeno peppers
cream cheese
onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper
yellow food coloring

Stuff the japs with a mix of cream cheese and spices, colored yellow with the food dye.

Put 1 pepper in the middle of a sausage patty and mold the sausage around the pepper.
Smoke like a fatty.

When done slice the "egg" so it looks like an egg with a yellow yoke.

It turned out pretty good. I used it on a biscuit with a fried egg, very good.

So THAT'S where that recipe came from. I can see me adding a new book to my collection.

rbinms33 said:
So THAT'S where that recipe came from. I can see me adding a new book to my collection.

You will love it Richie. After reading all the good things the Brethren had to say about "Peace, Love, and Barbecue" and Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook, I ran out and bought both of them. Both good, as every one said on the Cookbook thread, lots of good recipes, lots of good stories about Q and competition.

Well, I tried some 'dillo eggs yesterday. The biggest thing I learned is that turkey sausage does not good Q make. They weren't bad, and may have been a little over-cooked since I got called away in the middle of the process. But I'm not using turkey sausage anymore.

Cooked up a dozen eggs today. 6 the old stand by of JD maple and pepper jack for filling. 6 with JD hot and Dr. BBQ's big time rub. The 6 with the hot and rub were spicy! Not too much mind you. Just right. Enough to numb your lips yet not upset the belly. Just thought I would share. If I get the lava squirts tomorrow, I'll share that also.

I smoked a couple of BBQ 'Scotch Eggs' last night and they came out fantastic!!

Sorry if you guys know what they are, but just incase:
(Scotch Egg - Boiled Egg, wrapped in Sausage meat, rolled in beaten egg then breadcrumbs, deep fried)
(Picnic Egg - Boiled Egg mashed with mayo wrapped in Sausage meat, rolled in beaten egg then breadcrumbs, deep fried)
(BBQ Scotch Eggs - Boiled Egg, wrapped in Sausage meat, rolled in Rub then Smoked over Apple)

I forgot to take photos, but here one of a normal Scotch Egg i've ripped from Google!!

Attachments

• scotch.jpg
    scotch.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 207
CarbonToe said:
I smoked a couple of BBQ 'Scotch Eggs' last night and they came out fantastic!!

That sounds good! There's a British pub in Minneapolis that serves scotch eggs. Good stuff! Now I have to try BBQ scotch eggs! Thanks, CT

Back