Smoked Appetizer Ideas

Adubree86

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Adam
We are having an early xmas this weekend with my side of the family and I'm thinking about making a bunch of smoked appetizers. Just something different. Any good ideas out there? One I know I'm doing for sure is a smoked cream cheese.

There's always the standard bacon wrapped options:

Jalapeno poppers
Pig shots
Moinks

Non bacon wrapped:

Smoked queso seems to be a popular one, haven't done that yet.
Pork belly burnt ends
Bologna burnt ends
Armadillo Eggs
Seasoned saltine crackers

Buffalo turds always go over well.
Bacon wrapped scallops.
Burnt ends.
And, Anything goes good on a Ritz cracker! LOL!

Smoke a fattie. Cut it up and serve with cheese and crackers.

Crumble a fattie up in a pot and add a block of cream cheese to melt, then add Velveeta and Rotel (drain the water), add extra diced green chilies and/or diced jalapenos. Also add more grated sharp cheddar. If you like spicy, use hot sausage for the fattie and add more hot stuff into the mixture. Serve with tortilla chips.

Pig Candy

cut a pound of bacon into 1/3 length slices.
separate slices and put in large plastic bag
add brown sugar - a LOT of brown sugar
mush it around until brown sugar is thoroughly worked into and coating bacon
put slices on a rack and smoke to desired doneness

Onion cups are always good.. Cut both ends of a small to medium onion, cut onion in half. ( cut parallel to the ends). Push the (cups) apart, like onion rings.. Fill with your favorite sausage, dust with rub and smoke. Finish with a dot of bbq or any sauce you like.

Smoked sausage balls. Mix Sausage, Bisquick, rub of choice, sharp cheddar cheese and diced jalapeño. Smoke till 165

We had a 'bruschetta contest' last weekend. I sliced and grilled the bread with oil and garlic. Then smoked 2 blocks of cream cheese (one had a nice dusting of Habanero death dust for the heat seekers) and then topped it with a bacon jam that I made. It wasn't pretty (brown on brown on brown) but it tasted great, and won the contest!

Watched a couple You tube videos last night for Shotgun Shells, manicotti shells stuffed with cheese and breakfast sausage wrapped in bacon. Definitely on my to do list for the holidays.

All excellent suggestions above. I might add to the list smoked Cheez-Its. Lightly coat Cheez-Its with cooking oil of your choice or bacon grease and lightly sprinkle with a savory rub of your choice. Smoke on a perforated pan or rack or even a disposable aluminum pan at 250 for 30 minutes. Serving suggestion: Take an 8 ounce brick of cream cheese and slice in half lengthwise. Take each half and sprinkle with a BBQ rub on all for sides. I like to use Oakridge Smokey Chili Lime on one half and Head Country (before they changed the recipe) on the other half. Folks usually go wild for this combo.

Also try the Fire Cracker recipe:

firecracker recipe----

1lb crackers (normally use saltines)
1 1\3 cup canola oil
1 pk dry ranch dressing
3 tbs red pepper flakes (normally 1 is enough)

Mix the liquid mixture really well. I use an immersion blender

Put crackers in large plastic container and pour mixture over crackers
tumble often for about 15 minutes until oil is no longer running down the sides of the container and is fully absorbed into the crackers
Cracker variations: saltines, Ritz, oyster crackers, Cheeze-its or the cheese flavored goldfish crackers.

Variation: Good
Tried using 1 1/3 cup bacon grease. Also added 1 tsp each of granulated garlic, granulated onion and black pepper and ½ Tbsp of Tajin seasoning. Next time I would bake in 250 degree oven for 15-20 minutes after the crackers had sat for 12-14 hours.

Merry Christmas.

Robert

Back