THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jobiz

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Joe
I wanted to try this dry-brining idea on a whole chicken and it came out great.
After Dry-Brining for approx 30 hours I put this little guy on my ECB (aka Franken-Smoker).

50896356086_1dc2062812.jpg

The result was delicious. My wife took one taste and shouted
"Its so juicy!"
So I'm a serious dry-brine fan now.

Looks awesome! I have one of those smokers I bought from HD years ago when I was getting into smoking. It's in my mothball fleet now, but I'd love to know what you did with yours if you wouldn't mind sharing. -Jayson

My ECB mod was the very first thing I did in this forum.
Here is my post from way back in 2013:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164056

A few things I've added since then:
I got rid of that ridiculously small coal pan and made a simple cylinder out of chicken wire. It actually works pretty well and allows me to really load up on the charcoal.
Also I created some legs out of flat aluminum stock to allow for better air flow.
If I was to start over I would probably create more venting in the bottom. Sometimes temp control is a little tricky with just the one hole in the bottom.

It's served me well over the years. A definite improvement over the electric smoker that was gifted to me. (The first time I plugged it in it threw my breaker box!)
However, I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a WSM sometime soon. I think I've gotten my 40 dollars worth out of that old Brinkman.

To answer your question,...
The skin wasn't really a factor. It just fell away during the carving, so I discarded it.
It wasn't crispy at all. Even after letting the bird dry before cooking I wound up with rubber skin.

At least it looked kinda pretty.

Back