Smoke & Spice

Bigdog said:
That is my fav recipe too, but I love it because of the pepper, but I am a pepper freak, or just a freak...but I digress.:icon_clown

I for one like a little bit of spice on my Q. But being from......way up north.... I like the taste of the meat also. For example I like a light dusting of spices on my ribs. Butts, well I normally give them a heavy dose of spices to create the bark. When I pull my butts, that gives me some crunch when mixed. Ive batched a lot of different types of rubs and as I age gracefully im starting to back way down on them. When I do a big cook here at home, my guests also say that my food is getting better every time, meaning they like less spices also. Bottom line is different strokes for the folks in different geographical areas.
P.S. I hardly ever glaze my ribs. Folks around here rather have sauce on the side and no glaze.:rolleyes:

Wow, quite a response. I appreciate all the input, and it looks lie the general consensus (with a few exceptions) is that this was a good thing. Thanks for the feedback!

I liked it a lot.

This book was my first introduction to real BBQ. I learned a lot. Try the rub recipes. I think they are very good.

it's a winner. I thumb through it every now and then looking for something new to experiment with. I've pulled several winners out of there that I've adjusted to my tastes.

There's also a follow up from the same authors called Sublime Smoke which is pretty good as well.

Smoke and Spice is my "Bible" ... If I feel I need to "get back to the basics" - I open it. Lately Dr. BBQ and Paul Kirk have gotten more of my reading time.... but I'm on my 3rd edition of Smoke and Spice... ( or 3rd copy I should say, I believe it is 2nd edition)

Smoke and spice is a great book, it was the first one I bought and it was the first one everyone I talked to recommended having. I would also suggest Paul Kirks books, the guy is amazing:grin:

Not only did I buy the book, I got it as a Xmas present later that same year. Used it to guide me though smoking my first ham. Melt-in-your-mouth tender. One of the tips in the book was to use juice in the water pan. I used apple, and got a hint of apple through the whole ham.

Damn, now I've gone and made myself hungry. Thanks...

Yeah, any time I'm barbecueing big pieces of pork, and often with brisket, I use liquid in the pan -- among the liquids I like to use are Coke, bourbon, beer, wine, soy sauce, and vinegar.

bbqbull said:
Smoke and Spice was one of the first books I purchased. I like the Mr.Brown rub also but I had to cut back on the pepper by half. Folks said too much pepper. The next batch of that rub turned out just fine for a newbie like me at the time. Still a very informational book IMHO.
i've had the same experience with the recipes. way too much pepper whether it be black pepper or cayanne pepper.

I just picked this book up and am going to look for Kirks book as well. I need to sit down and read through it.

2nd hand said:
I just picked this book up and am going to look for Kirks book as well. I need to sit down and read through it.

Go to Amazon.com they had a two book deal for $18 and I got Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ and Dr. BBQ's Big time BBQ book. Both are very good books.

Bossmanbbq said:
Go to Amazon.com they had a two book deal for $18 and I got Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ and Dr. BBQ's Big time BBQ book. Both are very good books.

Another vote for Dr. BBQ's first book. More fun for recreational reading and also some very good recipes. I need to get his second book. Birthday coming up, better start hinting.

Back