Smoke on a Weber Kettle?

I've posted this here a couple of times (at least), usually whenever this subject comes up, open space on the left for lit coals. I've cooked for 11+ hours with coals left over-

EasterPP2.jpg

I too smoke a lot of stuff on my Weber's, all three of them, Once I get them "zoned" in I can cook pretty much forever low and slow, right at 225 degrees. I've done butts on them for 14 hours and they came out great. I always use the indirect method as described above. Weber's website has some really good information about cooking and using Kettle's. Good Luck

Where did you pick up the wire shelf pictured in your post?

I still use the kettle for shorter smokes with a water pan between or to one side of the coals.

Excellent tips in this thread, guys. Very glad I stumbled across it. A few days ago I managed to snag a...

blue-weber_grill_.jpg

... for the hefty sum of $0. Yes, completely free. The previous owner (a friend of the family) just wanted to rid herself of it. It's only been used probably 2 or 3 times. It was my lucky day.

I can't wait to give it a go as I haven't owned or had access to a Weber kettle in a number of years. First on the list? Smoking some ribs.

Don't you just love spring? :thumb:

All I have is Weber kettles (yeah. I know.), and I smoke stuff on them all the time. Butts, chops, roasts, ribs, loins, turkeys, wild game, chickens, etc.

Lots of great advice in this thread (and elsewhere on the forum). Go for it!

As others have said, you can absolutely smoke some fine Q on a good old Weber kettle and it's pretty dang easy to boot. Truth be told, I owned a WSM as well as various other charcoal and electric smokers before I ever owned a Weber kettle, but I can honestly say that I learned more about real bbq from the kettle than any of the other cookers. If I knew then what I know now, I would have started smoking on a kettle in the first place and saved myself a hell of a lot of headaches.

Here is my Kettle setup...this brisket was a bit too large for me as the spot closest to the corner of the coals was a a bit over done. Other than that it has worked well for me.

weber.jpg

Back