Smoke flavor penetrating meat (Pork)

I like science as much as the next guy, but sometimes just having fun with something is more fun.

Interesting theory but at the temperatures involved does the viscosity of the liquid get that much lower? Say we take a butt off at 190,place it in a cooler for a couple of hours then pull it. Hopefully it is still above 140 for good food safety practise. Has the viscosity really lowered enough at say 150-160 or so from 190 to make much difference in how the fluid flows?

I'm not trying to argue for the sake of arguing. I just love to discuss this stuff and hear other ideas. It seems terms like "redistribution of juices" and "meat stops pulling in smoke at XXX degrees" gets thrown around a lot like they are indisputable facts, and maybe some times it's good to ask why do we say these things and what are they based on?

Good questions... I, like you, would like to understand all things about BBQ. Maybe resting the meat until the temp drops below the "fat rendering" level lets the juice become viscous enough to make a difference??? Anyone?

Why does ham taste smokey all the way through?
Ham is brined.

I have long thought that it would make sense to butterfly pork shoulders (or pieces of the shoulder - butt, picnic, shoulder blade roast) and slash the meat prior to slather/rubbing and cooking, simply to expose more of the meat to the smoke.

It is certainly possible to get the interior of a pork butt flavorful by using injection. Mixing the pulled meat well should put some of the smoky part into most every bite, making it all taste smoky. But I agree with the majority - meat not exposed to the smoke doesn't taste particularly smoky.

seattlepitboss

I always return the meat to the smoker/cooker after worked up in pans and smoke the pulled pork, I also turn the meat in the pans several times during this additional smoking period. The additional smoke gets into all the meat and even though no additional smoke ring, smoke flavor into all the meat.

Why does ham taste smokey all the way through?

My guess on this has always been that it's because of one of two reasons:

Either the cold smoking process (preceeded by a cure) for a longer period of time allows for less of a crust to form on the outside and greater smoke penetration without overcooking the meat....

or....

The artificial smoke flavour added is able to penetrate the meat better.

One thing I can say, when I smoke a turkey, the meat is smokey all the way through...of course that's a different animal:)

dmp

One major factor we may not even be considering is the expansion of the juices as the temp rises.

In a transmission, when you check the level of fluid at room temperature, it will be lower than when the unit is at operating temp. Around 200*. The amount of expansion can be quite impressive. Something like a half a centimeter increase or more in the level per 10 degrees in some units.

The expansion of and retraction of the juices inside as the temp rises and falls must be doing something. This just occured to me this morning. I'm gonna have to go do some reading.

Back