Smell of smoke while cooking on an offset

JokerBroker

Knows what a fatty is.
Last weekend, I cooked with a stick burner for the first time. In the opinion of everyone who ate the brisket, it was a successful cook. One thing I wasn't expecting at all was the smell of the smoke while I was cooking it. The fire was very clean and the smoke was thin blue but it never really smelled like I was cooking any food. I was used to the sweet smell of meat cooking when I use lump charcoal with my Big Green Egg but all I could smell during this cook was the smell of a nice campfire. I began to worry that the brisket would taste like a burned log but fortunately, the taste was great. Do all of you notice the same thing when cooking with sticks? Do I only smell the meat while cooking with charcoal because the charcoal itself has no aroma? I knew that wood was going to introduce a different flavor profile which is why I bought an offset but I just expected to also smell meat cooking at the same time.

Last edited:
I always find it interesting to see the perceptions of someone switching to a new cooker type...and how that differs from what they thought it would be like.

My stickburner smells like wood burning. When I open the lid to check temp, or rotate or put something else on, then I can smell the meat cooking. But for the most part I smell a campfire/fireplace.

Now my surprise with my reverse flow was the sound of the sizzle as the juices from cooking hit the hot reverse flow plate. I can hear that with the lid closed.

I love the "wood aroma" that a stick burner puts out. Initially I don't smell the meat but a few hours in I do start to smell the meat cooking. Combined with a clean smoke, it's heavenly.

Same here. If I can't even see smoke coming out of the stack, I'm a pretty happy camper. It doesn't take long for me hanging around the cooker where I can't even smell the wood fire anymore. But people down the street can.

I love the "wood aroma" that a stick burner puts out. Initially I don't smell the meat but a few hours in I do start to smell the meat cooking. Combined with a clean smoke, it's heavenly.

Same here. If I can't even see smoke coming out of the stack, I'm a pretty happy camper. It doesn't take long for me hanging around the cooker where I can't even smell the wood fire anymore. But people down the street can.

That makes three of us.... Wood at first, then meat later - especially when the drippings hit the tuning plates.

Now just wait until you try a different kind of wood - that difference in aroma will get your attention. One of the reasons I can't stand pecan is the smell of it burning. Love me some hickory, mesquite and cherry.

wait until it gets a little dirtier inside the cooker. my old offset hardly ever got cleaned out and in direct sunlight all you could smell was brisket coming from the cooker while it was sitting empty.

I have two old rigs on a covered porch, and always appreciate the lagniappe of walking by, and getting that wonderful aroma on days when they are not being used.

Friends and family are often amazed when they ask what I am smoking, and have to raise the lids to see for themselves, when I tell them that are they are cold and not in use.

Good smoke keeps on giving long after the cook. :thumb:

wait until it gets a little dirtier inside the cooker. my old offset hardly ever got cleaned out and in direct sunlight all you could smell was brisket coming from the cooker while it was sitting empty.

This too. When people check out my empty smoker, the first thing that hits them is the whiff of the smoked meats as soon as I open the main chamber door.

Don't let the drippings get rancid in there though. Nothing pleasant about that. I clean the day after the smoke session.

Don't let the drippings get rancid in there though. Nothing pleasant about that. I clean the day after the smoke session.

Agreed. I'm trying to find that line between going overboard on the cleaning and not enough. I think a little steam cleaning with a brush after the cook should do it. I clean out the firebox and vacuum that.

Had to google the definition of that one! :help:

lan-yap'

Here in Louisiana it refers to a little something extra, unexpected, mostly free, and valued. Anything can be lagniappe if it is appreciated by its recipient.

lagniappe |ˌlanˈyap, ˈlanˌyap|
noun
something given as a bonus or extra gift.
ORIGIN Louisiana French, from Spanish la ñapa .

Agreed. I'm trying to find that line between going overboard on the cleaning and not enough. I think a little steam cleaning with a brush after the cook should do it. I clean out the firebox and vacuum that.

BTW Congrats on the LSG. Great choice!

My cleaning process

At the end of a big cook/multiple cooks I spray it down and let it steam. Flush through the grease ball valve after to get the nasties out

1eScH11l.jpg

Come next day I get the cleaning by scraping food particles and large grease build ups

0WTuBnwh.png

eU9wDmIh.png

Nice and clean :thumb:

r3TcnK2h.png

Then I dump the ash

ZC058Sph.png

jhX7mQhh.png

Brush off ash residue. I don't like any ash even residue on my fb walls

EK09h97h.png

Beautiful

w8DIDtgh.png

Touch up any little rust spots with oil. Preventive maintenance goes a long way especially if you keep your pit outside like I do.

So you find this better than trying to scrape the food and grease while it's still hot on the day of the cook?

I do. I feel the steam loosens the food particles and it's an easy scraping the next day. Majority of the time there is company so I can't clean after the cook anyway plus the pit is pretty hot for a while after the cook. Def more than one way to skin a cat though.

Also, after a cook many times I'm prepping other food and sitting down to eat. Often the smoker is cooled off and the fire is out by the time I'm done.

I like to fire it up, steam it and scrape it right before the next cook.

Back