Slicing Pork For Competitions...

I agree, Todd. Every time I go heavy on pork sauce, I get judge farked! When I go light, I score much better. Those sure are pretty boxes though. Based on the width of the box, those slices must be an inch and a quarter thick. Mine are always 1/2 inch thick. Maybe I should slice them thicker.

Yes you can... As someone mentioned up above, "it's a sauce contest".
:p:wink::p

Because we ALL know, 1st place in Pork at the Royal means someone knows how to cook pork!

I disagree that it is a sauce contest. I use very little sauce on my entry. I want them to taste and see pork. But I say too much. :wink: Go back to your discussion of a sauce contest.

I get farked too when I sauce heavy. Come to think of it, I get farked when I sauce lite too.
I don't like sauce on pork, or at least not much. Like Todd says, I like pork to taste like pork but the judges don't seam to think of it my way. Thatls why I say it's a sauce contest.
So sauce away.

I get farked too when I sauce heavy. Come to think of it, I get farked when I sauce lite too.
I don't like sauce on pork, or at least not much. Like Todd says, I like pork to taste like pork but the judges don't seam to think of it my way. Thatls why I say it's a sauce contest.
So sauce away.

Sounds like you are getting farked left and right.

It is NOT a sauce contest. I stand firm on my convictions.

Sounds like you are getting farked left and right.

You know me Todd. I like to get farked. I wish it would turn out in my favor one day.:mrgreen:

I really wish it wasn't but it is a sauce contest. How about a new rule for KCBS. No sauces allowed.

I agree here too... just tried to make a little joke with my last post. (I guess it was too little:icon_smil). I only paint the outside edges with enough sauce to give it a "shiny" look. Other than that, I like them to taste pork!

Based on the width of the box, those slices must be an inch and a quarter thick. Mine are always 1/2 inch thick. Maybe I should slice them thicker.

It's hard to get them thinner when the money muscle is cooked to 215F. It's amazing to me that it holds together long enough to make it to the judges.

I use very little sauce on my entry. I want them to taste and see pork.

If my pork was as good as yours I'd probably feel the same way. For now, I need every crutch I can use.:wink:

The entry below scored a 179.4286 last weekend. I came in 2nd to KC Can Crew's 180. The judge who gave me an 8 on appearance spoiled my best chance for a perfect score yet.

~pork.jpg

Hot and Fast?

Paul absolutely beautiful big slap on the back man I hope I can get those resluts doing hot and fast on my new WSM.

more practice for sure for me

I've seen a couple of references to "hot and fast" in this thread. What specifically does the term mean? I assume cooking temp and time? If so, what temps and times are we talking about?

Back