Sleep deprivation and she's home...

That is an awesome idea for wood rack, although I can't help but think to be really careful walking up to it to make sure there are no snakes who wld love to make a den underneath them.

Ok, I said I would post some photos...

So, after the long day yesterday, we got her set up in place, got her sprayed down inside with 3.5 cans of Pam, but then wrapped her up for the night. Here she is in her cover. Not exactly the color we were looking for, but it will do.

IMG_3697_zpso0msaitr.jpg

A view from the deck. Will be cutting an opening for easier access tomorrow. (New deck in the plans soon...)

IMG_3698_zpsospjqejy.jpg

Here she is undressed...

IMG_3699_zpspxkxovyo.jpg

Ordered this custom opener online...

IMG_3701_zpsid142zl6.jpg

Table up...

IMG_3704_zpspj4u9gip.jpg

Nice big therms that I can read from the deck. For now...

IMG_3706_zpsc5cfjhtw.jpg

The main smoking chamber...

11692720_1132456440115953_6144902748193188024_n.jpg

Sausage hangers in the main chamber...

IMG_3707_zpspn7vuaxa.jpg

Close up...

IMG_3708_zpseudpnka8.jpg

Tuning plates...

IMG_3714_zpsamexgr7w.jpg

Oven and firebox...

IMG_3709_zpsjjfeayrr.jpg

More sausage hangers in the oven...

IMG_3711_zpskl17sx9w.jpg

Time to fire her up and season the paint. As you read above, this is not enough charcoal...

IMG_3715_zpsmqx8jyma.jpg

Flame on...

IMG_3720_zpspspuy6qq.jpg

Getting there...

IMG_3723_zpsm2hwgcr3.jpg

Almost there...

IMG_3726_zpsse7a57de.jpg

All doors open so she can breathe...

IMG_3727_zpsgzbf2gcd.jpg

Coals got good, so I added a couple splits and shut her up except all vents open...

IMG_3728_zpsnaozam3s.jpg

Splits starting to catch fire.

IMG_3730_zpshkelqqk6.jpg

IMG_3731_zpslx3cj7ss.jpg

While the fire was slowly dying, I built this wood rack based off a suggestion from a friend. Works for me...

IMG_3732_zpsxe9joq7w.jpg

Thanks Haniel, yeah, just another place for critters, but gotta store it somewhere.

Last edited:
We have fire and good temps...

Started with a larger charcoal base. Got that going with the flame thrower. Split some splits and added four of them. By the time they were burning, I added one of the partially burnt splits from yesterday. When it got close to 250* I closed the intake to about an inch and a quarter and she's been holding between 250* and 260* ever since. It's been about an hour since I threw the partially burnt split on. I am watching the temps, waiting for them to start to drop so I can add another split.

IMG_3733_zps8o9g0nt4.jpg

These gauges almost match my Maverick. The first two are from the smoke chamber and the second two are the oven.

IMG_3735_zpshhof4zjr.jpg

IMG_3736_zps7zbbzogc.jpg

IMG_3738_zpsbwgzpuhd.jpg

IMG_3739_zpsczlxvrkj.jpg

They even balanced out about 15 mins ago...

IMG_3741_zps5hvninzf.jpg

Thanks for the advice given above... :bow:

Good to hear you are getting it figured out. I leave my intake wide open for 2 reasons. To allow plenty of air to flow (I control the temps by the size of my fire) other reason is to keep an eye on the coal bed. Temps could be fine but if you lose your coal bed you will have a big swing to get them back. It's a lot different than a charcoal cooker.

Have you seasoned it yet?

We sprayed it with 3.5 cans of Pam on Friday. She's been running at around 250 since about 3:30 today. About time to throw the bacon and croissants on. And maybe some sausage. And maybe a Fatty...

Back