Sleep at contests/type of cooker etc...

With a good basket and a decent offset, sleep is possible. Check out this link:
http://www.bbqnuts.com/2006_04_15/charcoal_basket_new.htm

4hrs burn time in an OK Joe's Longhorn using a Klose basket.

I'm guessing a 1/4" thick backyard style pitt (say a 24x48 ) could run 5 hrs with a good basket design like a klose and with good charcoal instead of lump.

I love my stick burner, and will probably be cooking on one forever. But that being said, if and when I have the money for a FEC 100, I will sure have one.

I know when using my southern yankee, I stay up all night and babysit it, it can be stubborn at times keeping temps where I want it. But that is one of the things I enjoy about it. Man and fire, no help..lol..But I don't have any problems the next morning, staying up all night don't bother me. Now I can use my meadow creek PR-60, and with about 40-50lbs of charcoal, can get it up to 250. close most of the vents down, and it'll stay there for about 9hrs without moving. Which one I use depends on how far I'm traveling for a comp, the southern yankee is a bit too big to go too far, no more than 3hrs from the house for me on that one. That's mainly for mass production.

Who needs sleep at a comp...? I'm used to taking one for the team ... But what I'm reading here sounds really good...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Who needs sleep at a comp...? I'm used to taking one for the team ... But what I'm reading here sounds really good...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

I am definetly getting older. At New Paltz I was the first to fall asleep in my chair. Gary and Michele said it must have been 9:00. I remember nursing a full beer in my hand. No wonder I woke up at 4 AM feeling cold and wet. I found the bottle about 3/4 empty sitting in my lap. :icon_blush:

A charcoal basket allows for a "Minion Method" type of burn.

I'm not a Guru guy and I know nothing of your cookers, but I bet a good basket and the Guru would greatly increase you sleep hours.

I agree 100% with Jeff when I started useing the charcoal basket it doubled even trippled my cook times.

I am definetly getting older. At New Paltz I was the first to fall asleep in my chair. Gary and Michele said it must have been 9:00. I remember nursing a full beer in my hand. No wonder I woke up at 4 AM feeling cold and wet. I found the bottle about 3/4 empty sitting in my lap. :icon_blush:

It was really nice seeing you and the team at New Paltz... I think when I came by you were in LaLaLand and so was Willie B! I can't remember getting any sleep... I was enjoying talking to all my BBQ Brethen friends too much...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Who can sleep anyway with those idiots in the tent ne.......Oh wait, that was me. Nevermind.

Sleep is over rated. 3-4 hours and a little coffee and I'm ready to roll.

I guru with a two fan setup on my caldera tallboy, load up with a good lump and its lights out for a couple of hours. I don't sleep well and aggree with the over rated /coffee theme. (I might change it from a little coffee, to a lot of coffee) Although, have been known to saw some serious wood on saturday night!

if your thinkin about sleep whats the point of goin to a comp:roll:

PRIDE :lol:

I have this old fashioned attachment for "scoring well".

When we nursed the stick or charcoal burners overnight--we were exhausted during the important time on Sat.
Probably made 100 stupid mistakes or so and cost us a ton of points, prizes, and $$. :twisted:

Now, with some decent rest, we are down to about 50 stupid mistakes and the points, prizes, and $$ are going up each contest :lol:

That is why I/we love my FEC and some quality (kinda) snooze time :lol:

TIM

My Lang 60 and my Stoker...

you'll see me around in the middle of the night... but I'm working on my food, working on my boxes, preping more food, drinking beers, smoking cigars, or just checking on my food. About once every 4 hours I'm touching the firebox... and if its on a more regular basis... its because I like to fidget.

My Lang 60 and my Stoker...

you'll see me around in the middle of the night... but I'm working on my food, working on my boxes, preping more food, drinking beers, smoking cigars, or just checking on my food. About once every 4 hours I'm touching the firebox... and if its on a more regular basis... its because I like to fidget.

Sounds like you have the "Tao of Fire Control" figured out...

I hope to see you on the trail...

Back