Should I get a Meater+ for WIFI temp monitoring on my iPhone?

wahoowad

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
PookieBoo
Seen the Meater+ mentioned a lot online although lots of bad reviews on Amazon (and lots of good ones). It needs something to bridge from BlueTooth to get on my WIFI network?

I want something to monitor cooker and meat temps via my iPhone.

The big difference between the Meater and the Meater+ is that the + had wifi in the wooden base - the probe connects to the base via Bluetooth and then the base connects to your wifi so your phone can see it. You do need to leave the base fairly close to the probe.

I bought a Meater + to do my thanksgiving turkey this year and really like it. We used it for a couple of cooks and so far mine works great. I’d say get one!

The difference between the Meater and Meater + is that the block on the plus contains a Bluetooth repeater that extends the Bluetooth range.

If you want it to access your Wi-Fi you are going to need another device, such an an old phone, to make the connection between the Bluetooth Meater block and your WI-FI.

Once I set up the thermometer I turn on my old iPhone 6 with the Meater app running and it automatically connects to the Meater block via Bluetooth. I leave that phone near my cooker. Then I start the Meater app on my new iPhone 13 and it automatically links through the Wi-Fi.(make sure both phones are on the same Wi-Fi) It will also link to other devices so my wife can monitor the cook on her iPad.

If you want to go further than your home WIFI you can set it up so your second phone can see the temps through the internet anywhere on the world.

The 4 channel block is the only one that connects directly to your WiFI and I heard that the 4 block doesn’t work that great.

Last edited:
The big difference between the Meater and the Meater+ is that the + had wifi in the wooden base - the probe connects to the base via Bluetooth and then the base connects to your wifi so your phone can see it. You do need to leave the base fairly close to the probe.

I think you are incorrect about Meater+ having WIFI in the base. As ShadowDog states the Meater+ just has extended Bluetooth range. You still need to connect the base to another device that has WIFI enabled to bridge the Meater+ onto your wifi network. The Meater+ itself has no wifi capability, just Bluetooth.

I think you are incorrect about Meater+ having WIFI in the base. As ShadowDog states the Meater+ just has extended Bluetooth range. You still need to connect the base to another device that has WIFI enabled to bridge the Meater+ onto your wifi network. The Meater+ itself has no wifi capability, just Bluetooth.

I stand corrected and apologize for causing any confusion. I upgraded from the + to the block which does have WiFi and forgot that.

Do you find the Block wifi to be stable and work well?

For the most part, yes.

I knocked the block of a game into concrete and the thin wooden battery compartment split in half. It uses 4 AA batteries with two pairs in series; the cover is held in place by magnets in each corner and while the cover still stays in place, the split allows the batteries to buckle up and lose connection. When that happens, it interrupts the wifi and the probes drop back to the short range Bluetooth connection direct to the phone. I mostly fixed this by taping the batteries together and taping the cover in place. The thin wooden cover certainly looks elegant and cool, but a more utilitarian plastic cover would be more robust!

Meater ain't no cheater! (whatever happened to that guy, anyway?)

No Idea, but Traeger acquired Meater last summer so it’s not the same company.

What was the story on that Meater is a cheater? I know it was a kick start company. Did they rip off their investors?

Does the unit transmit when under the hood of a Weber Kettle or offset smoker?

The plus unit does transmit from under the lid of my Weber kettle but you need to keep the wooden base near the cooker. The wooden base is a Bluetooth repeater that sends the 165’ range signal to your phone.

Last edited:
The other thing I like about the Meater app is that it figures out the slope of the internal temperature curve and tells you to pull meat below the set point so that the food peaks at the set point during the rest. The target temp for the fresh butterball turkey I made today was 165°f. The Meater app told me to pull the bird at 160°f and said there would be a 16 minute rest. The internal temp peaked at 165.20°f fourteen minutes into a 16 minute rest. The turkey was awesome.

4518-AB4-E-82-A9-4-ED9-87-A7-67-EEFA8-D234-C.jpg

My 2¢—I really started enjoying BBQ once I did away with the digital thermometers, especially in the stick burner. I used to chase temps. I went back to all analogs on all my cookers and every session is much more leanback

My 2¢—I really started enjoying BBQ once I did away with the digital thermometers, especially in the stick burner. I used to chase temps. I went back to all analogs on all my cookers and every session is much more leanback

I agree with you on not chasing pit temperatures makes for an equally good yet much more relaxing cook. However, I found that the Meater is great for telling you when to pull the meat off the heat, and when the rest is complete. It tracks the internal temperature rise rate and tells you when to pull the food to achieve the ideal temp during the rest. The Meater recommends a finished breast temperature of 165°f on turkey. The Meater told me to pull the bird at 160°f on the turkey above and breast temperature peaked at 165.2°f during the rest. On the first turkey I made using it didn’t know this and was scratching my head wondering why it was telling me to pull the turkey from the heat at 158°f. I figured “what the heck” and followed what the Meater said and wound up with a perfectly cooked bird.

The Weber kettles sold years ago didn’t have thermometers on them and the Weber cook book back then had a table that showed the number of charcoals to use at the start and how many to add every hour or so. It also indicated that you need to add a little more when the ambient temps are colder. This put the kettle in the appropriate temp range with all of the vents wide open. When I made the turkey shown above I didn’t track the pit temp at all. Heck, I didn’t even look at it. I just added coals every half hour and let it ride. Same thing on the previous turkey, and the same thing on the brisket I made a few weeks ago. I set up a 4x4 snake with the vents wide open and let it ride. I knew it would be in the ballpark.

The thing I’m using the Meater for is to tell me when the food is done. (Note, brisket still needs to be checked by other means, but a 203°f pull temp usually works)

Last edited:
@Shadowdog500, I see your point and I agree there are benefits to the technology, especially in something like the Meater; I personally don't find it necessary—unless it's steaks, roasts, or birds I don't even get the Thermapen out anymore; steaks and roasts I don't wanna ruin, and with poultry I don't wanna get sick.

I'm by no means an expert pitmaster, however I found that I can go by feel, looks, and time when dealing with L&S. I do own a Thermoworks Smoke and sometimes use it when I'm reverse-searing something and I have work to do or I have to be indoors for some reason; it's nice to pop the receiver out of the pocket and see what's going on.

On one hand, I believe having heavily relied in the past on digital thermometers when doing long cooks caused me to chase temps and babysit the smoker far too much; on the other hand, it gave me enough experience as to what to look for when asking myself whether something is "done", "ready to wrap", "stalling" etcetera. I still care for accuracy or, better yet, consistency of readings.
Ie, I removed the cheap factory thermometer from the stick burner and replaced it with a Tel-Tru BQ300, also moving it from the top of the lid down to the lower left corner at ~1 ½" from grate level. Perhaps the point is 20f hotter or perhaps there's a hot spot at the stack, I don't really care as long as the reading is consistent. I manage a clean burning fire (even too clean sometimes) between 250 and 280 and only act once the needle starts dipping below 250.
I added a small thermometer gauge on the Weber kettle, vent-side, as you would see in a SnS kettle. Grate level, according to the TW Smoke, is 20f colder, but I cook at 250+ so it doesn't matter. Meat turns out incredible anyway, I stopped caring.
I added a gauge to the PBC—that's a heresy, but I like knowing where the cook is going at a glance. I added a 2x4 exhaust pipe because sometimes I want 400-500f in there and sometimes I want 250f.

In the end I believe BBQ lies on a spectrum, on one end it can be made really complicated (like adding or moving gauges, prototyping baffles, experimenting with draft, splitting logs to the exact size needed), and really simple on the opposite end (throw a log, cook at 200-350, come back in 10 hours, eat); however, beyond "complicated" lies "stressful" and before "simple" there's "sloppy". To me, Q is the most relaxing thing I can do with my time; cook amazing stuff and share it with the people I love. Everyone should look for their own happy medium where Q is not yet another stressful thing in their already busy life, and I think I found mine

No Idea, but Traeger acquired Meater last summer so it’s not the same company.

What was the story on that Meater is a cheater? I know it was a kick start company. Did they rip off their investors?
When Meater was on Kickstarter, some guy who was developing a competing product (or so he said) kept coming on here dogging Meater. His catch phrase was Meater is a cheater, meaning he thought it was a fake scam. Thought he was clever, I guess. Became a bit of a meme around here. When Meater did come out, he vanished.

Does the unit transmit when under the hood of a Weber Kettle or offset smoker?

Mine (meater +) transmits from inside an egg to the base that is on the fridge some 35 feet away.
I then connect an old ipad (20 feet from base) so I can have wifi to the phone if I need to run out. Otherwise, I just use the ipad.

If I run out, my son watches the cook just incase.

When Meater was on Kickstarter, some guy who was developing a competing product (or so he said) kept coming on here dogging Meater. His catch phrase was Meater is a cheater, meaning he thought it was a fake scam. Thought he was clever, I guess. Became a bit of a meme around here. When Meater did come out, he vanished.

Thanks for the back story. I just did a search on that phrase and found the guy. He was developing a competing product out of China. I’m not sure if he realized it but the catchphrase he developed sticks in your head and I remember that the thermometer is called a Meater. I bet few remember the name of the competing probe he was developing.

Oops, Got to go! My Meater just let me know that I need to pull the rib roast off the kettle in 5 minutes! :mrgreen:

Mine (meater +) transmits from inside an egg to the base that is on the fridge some 35 feet away.
I then connect an old ipad (20 feet from base) so I can have wifi to the phone if I need to run out. Otherwise, I just use the ipad.

If I run out, my son watches the cook just incase.

I’m having a lot less luck with the one I just got trying to use it in my kettle. If I go any more than ~10 feet from it, and any time I walk inside, I lose my connection. This is even with the base on the side table less than 3’ from the probe inside the kettle. I’m gonna have to dig and see if I have an old phone sitting around I can leave next to the kettle to connect via the cloud…

Back