THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pig's Blanket

Full Fledged Farker
A little over 2 years ago I bought a used Shirley Fabrication smoker from hereIt is an old propane tank made into a reverse flow smoker. From what I hear this was one of the first few smokers Paul built to sell. I could not be happier with this smoker! I have cooked weddings, competitions, family reunions and vending events with it with zero issues.

I have been looking for the perfect "competition smoker" since getting my enclosed trailer. I wanted one I could put inside my trailer and take with me to competitions. That way once I unload the smoker at the event I can use my trailer for a prep area and a sleeping area for Sami. I tried a Myron Mixon h20 smoker, an Onyx Oven and even a Deep South gravity fed smoker. Every one of these smokers worked good in their own way but I was not satisfied with the food that I turned out.

In May I decided to go back to a smoker that has never let me down, a smoker that I have cooked the best BBQ I have ever tasted. In May 2015 I called Paul Shirley and ordered my new competition smoker. I was not the ideal customer, what I mean by that is I was very specific in what I wanted on my new smoker, I asked for things that I had not seen on any other Shirley Smoker before. Their reply to me was "No Problem Sir we can do that for you" on everything I asked for. I continued to add options up until the build started.

Yesterday a buddy and me made the trip to Tuscaloosa Al to pick up my new smoker. The pics I posted are the pics that Tyler sent me when my new smoker was complete, and some of old faithful. I was very impressed with everything they did for me, they did everything I asked for. When I showed up yesterday and actually seen this smoker in person IT BLEW ME AWAY!!! The quality of the products these guys put out is second to none. I am very thrilled with my new competition smoker and I'm thankful that it was built by some people I consider BBQ family. Tyler, Paul, Ross and the rest of the crew at Shirley Fabrication are some great people. If you have considered a smoker but maybe have not found the perfect one for you, I strongly suggest calling Tyler or Paul and buying a smoker custom made for you built by some of the best people in the business!!!
THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH! I will post some more pics once I add the finishing touches.. šŸ˜„

Hmmmm, that's interesting. I heard dealing with those Shirley people can be difficult!!!:heh:

I love reading these stories about them.

Congrats on your new pit, and you already know you're going to love it.

Thanks for the story.

Love it......What's under the cook chamber? Is that storage?

You better have a winch in your trailer to load that baby looks like! :biggrin1:

Nice unit.......

Ed

Love it......What's under the cook chamber? Is that storage?

You better have a winch in your trailer to load that baby looks like! :biggrin1:

Nice unit.......

Ed

The boxed in part is empty, Tyler suggested a door for dry storage but I wanted it smooth for some graphics. I don't have a winch but I may be adding one soon šŸ˜„

I'm green with envy,that is nice.Where you mounting the 50 cal.,you're going to blow the comp away with that smoker.

I got to see yours upclose last week when I was down there. Wonderful job.. as a matter of fact, I have posted a pic or two of some of the welds on several threads this past week..and they were off of your unit. Enjoy your new Shirley!

I got to see yours upclose last week when I was down there. Wonderful job.. as a matter of fact, I have posted a pic or two of some of the welds on several threads this past week..and they were off of your unit. Enjoy your new Shirley!

Hey that's awesome! Thanks! I can't wait to get my paint done šŸ‘

congats on the new comp cooker, I am sure she will do well. We used our Patio for 7 events last year and she cooked great. Managed to join the 700 club with a GC in our last event of 2015.

We roll ours in to our toy hauler and I red necked a winch onto the smoker, as seen here.

Now it is a one man job getting her into and out of the toy hauler.

Back