Shirley 24x36 or LSG 20x44

Phaddie

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey,

Thought I would start a new thread. Lots of information in my last one but I now have a much more focused idea of what I want.

Putting a deposit in a couple week on a new smoker to move away from my old pellet grill.

I love everything about the Shirley. I wish Paul could deliver it himself My wife and I have watched probably every video on the internet of him. The size, the tires, the look, everything.

Not as excited about the look of the LSG, but I like that you can run it with something like a BBQ guru for a more set and forget type of cook which I will do a couple times a year.

The last few pieces of my choice are:

1. I live in Toronto, Canada. Tyler from Shirley had said they are about to ship a unit to Canada so I know they do it, I have nit heard back on a price yet. LSG will only ship as far as the closest international terminal for around $450. I would have to pick it up myself.

2. I have yet to see if anyone has been able to use a BBQ guru on a Shirley or if they would add a hookup for one (or if that would be considered an upgrade). I could drill it myself but man It would kill me to mess up the look.
3. Can the Shirley hold water in its base? Or do I need to put a water pan if I want to add water to the smoke session?

Would love to hear from anyone who has thoughts on the shipping, possible solutions to get them to me from the states. Are there any Canadian owners of Shirley on here?

And any input on how a Shirley may run on charcoal if I want to do that a few times.

Thanks in advance

Phad

Last edited:
I have seen a BBQ Guru port installed on a Shirley firebox door. If memory serves correctly the owner said it really wasn't necessary after all. The cooker has plenty of draw and doesn't need support to keep the fire maintained. Also I dont think charcoal will generate enough heat for any substantial cooking time. Maybe on a 24x36 but mine is a 24x48 (1500lbs +/-) and I don't think even 20lbs of charcoal would get it up to temp unless all the coals were burning at once and that would burn out quick. Minion Method absolutely wouldn't work on mine. These are very heavy cookers with a lot of metal to heat up. You are in Canada so you have even colder temps to deal with. Shirley's like wood fires. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have seen a BBQ Guru port installed on a Shirley firebox door. If memory serves correctly the owner said it really wasn't necessary after all. The cooker has plenty of draw and doesn't need support to keep the fire maintained. I hope this helps.

Do you know if he was running it with sticks or charcoal?

Do you know if he was running it with sticks or charcoal?

I wouldn’t get either of the two you mentioned if you want to set it up running a bbq guru and charcoal.

As for Shirley vs Lonestar grills you mentioned, both are good. Each has pluses and minuses. I prefer the reverse flow setup of the Shirley, and in general think the Shirley is about the best bang for the buck, but can’t really go wrong with either choice. There are better choices out their though for bbq guru’s and charcoal use though.

I wouldn’t get either of the two you mentioned if you want to set it up running a bbq guru and charcoal.

As for Shirley vs Lonestar grills you mentioned, both are good. Each has pluses and minuses. I prefer the reverse flow setup of the Shirley, and in general think the Shirley is about the best bang for the buck, but can’t really go wrong with either choice. There are better choices out their though for bbq guru’s and charcoal use though.

I realize this. I was only asking because I can see myself needing to a be a bit more hands off the cooker a few times a year (big cooks with lots of sides like thanksgiving or Christmas) and was wondering if there were viable options.

Thanks for the info!

If you are looking for a stick burner,,,that is what it is,,,,
The only guru for a stick burner is you
If you want a charcoal/ chunk smoker that you can use with a guru for long unattended cooks look at the LSG insulated vertical cabinet smoker or the Ironside IVC
The Ironside can burn sticks when you want to play with fire and burn charcoal and chunks when you want to play with the kids

If you are looking for a stick burner,,,that is what it is,,,,
The only guru for a stick burner is you
If you want a charcoal/ chunk smoker that you can use with a guru for long unattended cooks look at the LSG insulated vertical cabinet smoker or the Ironside IVC
The Ironside can burn sticks when you want to play with fire and burn charcoal and chunks when you want to play with the kids

Thanks for the input. I think I was not clear. About 1 in 15 cooks I may want to be a bit more hands off. Not every cook. I know this is an option on the LSG was wondering if it as well am option on the Shirley.

Thanks for the input. I think I was not clear. About 1 in 15 cooks I may want to be a bit more hands off. Not every cook. I know this is an option on the LSG was wondering if it as well am option on the Shirley.

I wouldn't let the controller/charcoal issue guide your decision on buying a stick burner. Go with whichever stick burner you like best and spend a few hundred extra on a WSM and controller.

It is an option. Shirley's are custom made. There is a real live person building the cooker from scratch. They will add just about anything you want.

First off I must state I am no expert, but the vast majority of backyard stick burners I have seen work best with a smaller hot fire. Stick burners turned out great barbecue because of the clean smoke coming from a small hot fire. My fear is your talking yourself into a smoker that won’t really do what you want. If set it and forget it is on your must have list, a stick burner is not going to work as well as you hope. Don’t get me wrong, a stick burner is a great, but you need to except it’s limitations.

First off I must state I am no expert, but the vast majority of backyard stick burners I have seen work best with a smaller hot fire. Stick burners turned out great barbecue because of the clean smoke coming from a small hot fire. My fear is your talking yourself into a smoker that won’t really do what you want. If set it and forget it is on your must have list, a stick burner is not going to work as well as you hope. Don’t get me wrong, a stick burner is a great, but you need to except it’s limitations.

As I said, not a must have, just trying to compare the 2 units.

Phad

I wouldn't let the controller/charcoal issue guide your decision on buying a stick burner. Go with whichever stick burner you like best and spend a few hundred extra on a WSM and controller.

Thinking this might be the answer, or just not get rid of my pellet Grill.

Hi, I’m the Shirley owner who posted about having Tyler install a temp fan port on my 24x36. I use a ThermoWorks Signals and thought a Billows would be a nice option. Here are pics of the port with the plug in place and cooker running at 275, the temp I like. Nice experiment but I don’t need it now.

I start my fires using some lump charcoal but burn Oak during the cooks.

Attachments

• 6EA57DA2-FA5B-4444-8792-83AD2A2BCE0A.jpg
    6EA57DA2-FA5B-4444-8792-83AD2A2BCE0A.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 10633C16-7FEA-45D2-8B88-EFC7833E8985.jpg
    10633C16-7FEA-45D2-8B88-EFC7833E8985.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 015223E7-D5A6-44EA-B404-C0834E513361.jpg
    015223E7-D5A6-44EA-B404-C0834E513361.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 183
It seems I may have to wait until after COVID-19, shipping is either not an option or ridiculously expensive. Or I may have to find a Canadian Pit. Stupid Pandemic.

Thinking this might be the answer, or just not get rid of my pellet Grill.

Yeah absolutely keep your pellet grill. If you are cooking on your offset and it is getting late you can swap it over to the pellet and get some sleep. You will still get the flavor from the time on the offset. It's like doing the dreaded finish in the oven but with a little smoke.

Keep the pellet grill or get a cheap drum smoker for the occasional need. Then pick the stick burner you actually want. To me, the cabinet door setup on the Shirley was enough to convince me it was the best option. Among everything else that has been mentioned.

Good luck on the shipping. Maybe you can set something up yourself if none of the manufacturers offer it?

It's not looking like I can get it shipped for less than 1200 USD. I need to start making some calls. Shipping quotes to the border from Lang, LSG, and horizon were all 500 USD. It's another 350 to have a Canadian company pick it up. Blurgh.

Back