Sharing the Weight: A Humble Children's Charity Request

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Hello fellow brethren. Phil and the team that run this amazingly crazy group have been very very gracious to allow me to post about a fundraising event and Non-Profit Charity that is near and dear to my heart because of my wife :-D. The charity is called Sharing the Weight. They make weighted blankets for Special Needs Children and my wife (a pediatric physical therapist) runs the GA chapter with one other therapist at her clinic.

This link has more about the charity, but a snippet from that page to help understand what weighted blankets do for special needs children is below.....
"Prose organized Sharing the Weight when her son, David, was informally diagnosed Autistic in 2013 (the family has since received an official diagnosis). While working with the AEA, David was given a weighted blanket to aid in sleeping. The first night, and nearly every subsequent night, David has slept through the night - something that had never happened in his entire 2 ½ years of life."

The blankets are like a comforting hug all night long :-D

These blankets can cost $100-$450 if purchased online and are provided free of charge through Sharing the Weight (a nominal shipping fee is collected). Basically a bunch of amazing women (and men including myself) put together these "blanket parties" which pretty much looks like mock "sweat shops" of people getting together with tables and sewing machines to sew these blankets. I can't sew great so I help to use my "muscle" to set up the events, measure/cut material, fill blankets and I also help feed the people working with bbq when I can. Every single blanket is put together by hand with donated material, machines, time and love.

So cut to the chase and what's the ask Jason?? The one big cost to the charity is the poly pellets that get put into the blankets and the chapters are running low. Luckily the founder, Marci, found someone that can give them the pellets. But the "rub" is shipping costs $500-600 to get them to Georgia, Texas and Oregon. Funny fact is that that pallet quantity is called a "Gaylord" of pellets!! :caked::clap2::mrgreen:

The link below is to the donation portion of the site to donate to any of the chapters as they all can use funds. We are of course in Georgia, but anything any location gets is amazing.
CLICK HERE TO DONATE>>>>http://www.sharingtheweight.org/help-the-other-chapters-get-supplies/<<<<<

Thank you all so much for your time and even just spreading the word here is amazing. I know money can be tight and people get asks similar to this all the time so I am again humbled for the audience. Thank you Phil, team and brethren.

Here is a picture of our tiny human in front of some boxes we ship out weekly. My office is filled with blankets (we're a main hub distribution center :becky:)
ETFwR2kl.jpg

Last edited:
This is an awesome thing you are doing. My wife has an identical twin sister whose son is severely autistic. He's 16 now, and he's doing things the doctors said he would never do. They said he would never walk, and he does. They said he would never communicate, and he does, though not verbally. Whenever I'm around him, I like to watch how he interacts with others. He has a love for people that is completely free of judgement. I always think we could all learn a lot from him. Thank you for your thoughtfulness toward others.

Thanks for posting this Jason. I have been working with kids with special needs in my community for the last ten years. So needless to say this kind of project is near and dear to my heart. I can't do a lot but I'm in.

This is an awesome thing you are doing. My wife has an identical twin sister whose son is severely autistic. He's 16 now, and he's doing things the doctors said he would never do. They said he would never walk, and he does. They said he would never communicate, and he does, though not verbally. Whenever I'm around him, I like to watch how he interacts with others. He has a love for people that is completely free of judgement. I always think we could all learn a lot from him. Thank you for your thoughtfulness toward others.

I appreciate that story. So many amazing ones just like that and always makes me smile :-D

And here I thought all along you were the, "Gaylord" D-Canoe!:laugh:

Noble cause my Friend. You guys are doing great things for your community!

Last edited:
My wife is behavioral therapist and works with these kids every day...thanks for what you are doing!! Sending a few bucks that way!

My wife is behavioral therapist and works with these kids every day...thanks for what you are doing!! Sending a few bucks that way!

I appreciate it! My wife does all the work with organizing everything, so glad I can assist where I can.

Back