Setting up a trailer

ooootis

Knows what a fatty is.
Howdy,

I have been looking hard for a trailer and just decided to ask a few question. Not having ever competed before the wife is, and I'll give her this a bit apprehensive to the whole idea even though she blessed it a few months back.

A friend is donating his trailer (which he would like to sell) so we can try a few meets. The trailer has interior florescent lights 30 amp service a drop down door as a table and some metal shelving. I think its 15 X 8.5. I'm using WSM I have 3 so I'm looking at water and a sleeping area.

How much water would you expect to go threw during a weekend doing dishes and prep. Water provided etc. Any insight would be a plus. I have only been to one competition (Atlantic City) and it was a rotten weekend with the last storm that came up the coast. Hats off to all that went.

Howdy,

I have been looking hard for a trailer and just decided to ask a few question. Not having ever competed before the wife is, and I'll give her this a bit apprehensive to the whole idea even though she blessed it a few months back.

A friend is donating his trailer (which he would like to sell) so we can try a few meets. The trailer has interior florescent lights 30 amp service a drop down door as a table and some metal shelving. I think its 15 X 8.5. I'm using WSM I have 3 so I'm looking at water and a sleeping area.

How much water would you expect to go threw during a weekend doing dishes and prep. Water provided etc. Any insight would be a plus. I have only been to one competition (Atlantic City) and it was a rotten weekend with the last storm that came up the coast. Hats off to all that went.

I judged there. What a mess for everyone. My hat is off to you. Hope yours did not blow away.

We go through about 3-5 gallons of water at a contest. We save a lot of the heavy washing for home.

We have the three bin system with about a gallon or so of water in each. As long as it's sanitized we are good with washing at home.

As far as sleeping a 8.5x15 trailer is plenty big for a cot or blow up mattress. We slept in a 5x10 trailer this year. I would love to have one that big.

I have a 40 gallon tank and I usually fill it about 1/4 full. I don't wash a lot of dishes at the contest, but for hand washing and light utensil washing. I have never run out with about 10 gallons, usually only about half of that.

I have a 40 gallon tank and I usually fill it about 1/4 full. I don't wash a lot of dishes at the contest, but for hand washing and light utensil washing. I have never run out with about 10 gallons, usually only about half of that.

Did you install a holding tank or is there a collection place or discharge on the ground yuck LOL

We will go through a 26 g tank at a kcbs contest. That includes doing all dishes after turn ins.

Most contests have water if not all that I have been cooking,,

So where was this water at, one central location or hoses going all over the place and what about the waste water? The reason I'm asking such mundane questions is I don't wanna be "that guy" everyone refers to.:roll:

Plus it's easier to fix something before you use it that afterwards.

Most trailers have a grey water tank, but then most contests (around here anyway) also allow you to drain the grey water on the ground.

As far as clean water, most contests will have a spigot spaced every 30-40 feet or so and 4 or 6 teams will hook up to one spigot. It's all contest specific though, so make sure to ask first if they don't explicitly tell you. We got burned at a contest last year that said "public water available on site." What they didn't tell you was that the public water was 500' away at one spigot for the entire contest. There was a lot of teams scrambling trying to figure out how to get water to their trailers.

Most trailers have a grey water tank, but then most contests (around here anyway) also allow you to drain the grey water on the ground.

As far as clean water, most contests will have a spigot spaced every 30-40 feet or so and 4 or 6 teams will hook up to one spigot. It's all contest specific though, so make sure to ask first if they don't explicitly tell you. We got burned at a contest last year that said "public water available on site." What they didn't tell you was that the public water was 500' away at one spigot for the entire contest. There was a lot of teams scrambling trying to figure out how to get water to their trailers.

Yes sir and that's one thing I don't feel like dealing with. Thanks!

Back