Serious Eats - judging at the Jack

Maybe COACHED wasn't the correct word. But there is a reason that Blues hog is the #1 selling bbq sauce for comp BBQ and not a mustard sauce! There is no way a mustard sauce glazed ribs could win even if AWESOME, because that is not what a rib is suppose to taste like!

The only folks that beotch about Jack judging are the one's that get their butts handed to them. I personally think they are the most distinguished, respected, knowledgable judges that are on the circuit... :becky:

I'll have to go check the winners list again... have you won the Jack every year you have competed there? :p

I was told early on in my career. If you didn't score well, cook better. To become a champion, you must learn to lose first. More cooks need to practice this.

One of the things that I practice is learning about the profile of the judges at an event and tweaking my entries accordingly. There are a whole bunch of first time food blogger types AND a whole bunch of old time KCBS judges at the Jack. You don't see that at most events. And those two types of people are looking for very different things.

I'd be much happier with ALL food bloggers or ALL Paul Kirk types.

Of course none of that means chit if you dont cook well. And I love a challenge thats why I go back and cook the Jack every year :bored:

Eh, the guy is new and nothing else needs to be really said. I used to think a local bbq place had phenomenal bbq. Then I bought a BGE and after cooking a pork butt it wasn't nearly as good. Three years later, that pork butt wouldn't compare to what I do now. This guy knows his favorite bbq places, which is great, but his tastes will change just as all new judges do over time and as all of ours has as well. I'm interested in seeing the second part of his article and I'm even more interested in seeing if he judges more contests.

Maybe COACHED wasn't the correct word. But there is a reason that Blues hog is the #1 selling bbq sauce for comp BBQ and not a mustard sauce! There is no way a mustard sauce glazed ribs could win even if AWESOME, because that is not what a rib is suppose to taste like!

It might be because Blues Hog is incredibly versatile when doctored just a bit, and works well in multiple regions of the country. It's not like Head Country wasn't ever a 'go to' sauce, and that's not to say it isn't now.

If you figure out how to make a mustard sauce win consistently, and the word gets out...you can drive the bandwagon:p

I'll have to go check the winners list again... have you won the Jack every year you have competed there? :p

No, but I am also not one of the one's moaning and beotching about the process of judging or who they get for judging. I could care less if I ever get another call or get my bung pulled at the Jack. It would be awesome, but I've been to the top of that mountain and inhaled the air... :thumb:

Let's face it, this blogger is trying to drum up business for himself. Just as the Jack tries to do for their branding as well.

Back