Second try at Char Siu

OferL

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
My first attempt was with a pork shoulder, cut to chunks, marinated, hung and smoked. It was either red and dry or juicy and grey. Couldn't get both color, flavour and juiciness right.

I saw this video by Malcolm Reed and had to try again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZJu0HFOgk

The cuts were pork chops and pork neck. I didn't follow the exact recipe. Instead of Rice Wine Vinegar I used Mirin. Instead of Red Food Coloring I used Rum extract (bright red!). You get the picture. Anyway this was the result:

SM2PIJqh.jpg

pr1vmsth.jpg

As you can see it's brown and not red. Was it the lack of food coloring?
Chops were a little dry. The neck steaks were perfect, but without the nice red bark of real Char siu.

csQIDREh.jpg

The side was a big success! I mixed rice noddles with baked potatoes, soy sauce and teriyaki. Really good.

PlukJFfh.jpg

CMhiJxWh.jpg

JyH7ntlh.jpg

Any ideas to get perfect Char Siu?

Here's one I did for a throwdown a few years back. I used thin sliced pork belly.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237538

Char Sui needs a sticky delicious glaze. Here's the recipe I kind of followed.

https://cafedelites.com/sticky-chinese-barbecue-pork-belly-ribs-char-siu-recipe/

That potato/noodle mixture look delicious.

I tried to make the glaze in M. Reed's video. I think I should have cooked it longer with the glaze. I guess it didn't caramelize. Your's looks perfect!

The potato noodle thing was a hit. Everyone took seconds and it was gone faster than the meat.

Here's the simple recipe I use and the key here is the salted honey for the glaze. The redness you're looking for is from food coloring - you don't need it. You can adapt this to your grill, but I just do it in the oven. Turns out great every time.

Char Siu
1.5 lbs Pork Shoulder / Country Ribs
Marinade:
¼ C Soy Sauce
1 TBS Rice Wine
½ tsp 5-spice
2 tsp salt
MSG
Marinate 1+ hours
Roast @ 350 for 30 min, flip, roast another 30 mine. Brush with honey and salt mix, Broil to finish.

Having done it a few times there is no exact science. It's done commercially at a pretty high temp and with the red food colouring. That's pretty hard to replicate when you are using a smoker. The smoke does inhibit the development of that glistening redness that you might be hoping for. Best just going for flavor and tenderness rather than colour. Sometimes it's good to char it up on the grill for a bit more colour and baste further with a honey soy mix and a bit of red colour added.

Red beet juice works.

Pork butt works..slow cook till tender with a little chew..then cook at high temperature and glaze till slightly charred.

Here's the simple recipe I use and the key here is the salted honey for the glaze. The redness you're looking for is from food coloring - you don't need it. You can adapt this to your grill, but I just do it in the oven. Turns out great every time.

Char Siu
1.5 lbs Pork Shoulder / Country Ribs
Marinade:
¼ C Soy Sauce
1 TBS Rice Wine
½ tsp 5-spice
2 tsp salt
MSG
Marinate 1+ hours
Roast @ 350 for 30 min, flip, roast another 30 mine. Brush with honey and salt mix, Broil to finish.

I'll try it. Sounds simple enough.

Looks good to me! If you liked pork neck, try using rib tips. Rib tips should be even juicier than pork neck and just as meaty.

Back