Second packer on my 680

Colonel Korn

I picked up a packer a few days ago for a decent price (nothing like the Costco sales I see a lot of ppl getting), and had it sitting in my fridge waiting to have the time to put it on the 680. IMG_1975.jpg

Woke up pretty early to get it on, and figured it would take 14-15 hours to cook, once everything was prepped. Didn't go too crazy cleaning the fat off of the flat, but I did try and let the meat get pretty close to room temp on the surface while I let the grill get hot. I used an injection mixture of a locally sourced Robust Ribeye Marinade and apple juice, and then dusted it with Caribeque's Big & Bold, which has a nice subtle flavor, and really compliments beef. Put it on at 5AM, and didn't look at it until 10 hours later.
IMG_1976.jpg

What I found interesting is that it had a really nice mahogany color, the first time I looked at it, and the bark was nice and sticky. Past results have been that if I wrapped it, I would get soft bark, and it would be a little muted. I was tempted to wrap it with foil, since my pen showed the temps to be around 160'ish, and it was still a little tough, and had about 4-5 more hours to go.

IMG_1979.jpg

Nice video of the color of the brisket after about 13 hours. It was nice and sticky.

When I decided it was ready to come off, it still had a nice mahogany color, and the bark was sticky, despite it being cooked completely uncovered! I thought it would be burnt to a crisp... didn't happen. I did find that I needed to rotate the flat toward the stack about 3 hours prior to pulling it off, because even though it was tough, it wasn't at temp. This seemed to help a good bit, because it was all like butter when I probed it prior to wrapping it for the rest. Wrapped in foil, added 1/2 C of beef broth for good measure.

I had to go shopping for some other food, so I wrapped it in my BBQ blankie, put it in the oven (because I don't trust my dogs), and came home ready to carve. I was pleasantly surprised at the little amount of au jus that was in the pan when I unwrapped.
IMG_1988.jpg

My results were much better than my first brisket. I figured that if I can get pretty close to nailing a less costly cut of meat, Choice, I'll have much better results with Prime, once I work out my techniques.

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg
The squish in action. Watch the juice come out of the point, and not the flat. When I release the pressure, you can hear it actually sucking back in the juices :-D

I'd say that the flat had really robust and beefy flavor, it has a great hang, and pull, but it doesn't have as much juice on the cuts when I was slicing them. They weren't dry, just not as juicy as I'd like them to be. The point was delicious, and had plenty of juice. The deckle between the point and flat had pretty much rendered completely, and I'd say that the point tasted like my mom's pot roast, which is amazing. I'm happy with the results, but I'd like some suggestions on what I can do to get the flat to be a bit more juicier on the outcome. I was also wondering where in the heck the mahogany color went when I placed it in the foil. I was expecting it to be more of that color, rather than the black it came out as. Either way, it was still tasty... much better than the Mexican Meatloaf fiasco my wife had one time, but that story is for another thread.

Last edited:
Looks like you are well on the way to perfection. I'd be excited if that was my 2nd brisket. Only thing I really do different is wrap fat cap up in butcher paper when the bark is set really, really good. Then vent fat cap down for 10-15 minutes to let the bark set again before wrapping in foil to rest or hold.

Looks like you are well on the way to perfection. I'd be excited if that was my 2nd brisket. Only thing I really do different is wrap fat cap up in butcher paper when the bark is set really, really good. Then vent fat cap down for 10-15 minutes to let the bark set again before wrapping in foil to rest or hold.

Speaking of butcher paper, since I'm still looking for matches around here, is the general consensus for paper to use the peach colored? I have seen a few people use that more than white, and judging by the results that Franklin gets, I'd say it's a worthy choice. Do you find that once the bark is set well, it's going to undergo that color change? That's what baffled me when I put it into the foil, it went from mahogany to black. Granted, I've had brisket at a chain restaurant that was black (Dickey's), but my wife said theirs was too peppery...

I've also not done the flip for the cook, just rotating in the chamber to get more heat on the flat when it wasn't as soft as the rest of the cut.

Back