THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kinda hard to describe but there will be a spring handle on the outside right-side door just off the center line and at the midpoint vertically that will operate a flat cam thingy on the inside so when you turn the handle 45* one attached 1/2" steel rod will go up into a receiver in the top of the door frame and a second attached 1/2" steel rod will go down into the bottom of the door frame. I can put a little bevel on the ends of the rods so when they engage they will draw the door in tight. The left-side door is captive to the right-side so it will be pulled tight too. I want it to be something that can be operated with one hand if necessary. The prototype worked like a champ.
I'll take a couple pics when I fab it up for real.

I understand what your talking about, should work good.

6 17x21 racks with room for 4" hotel pans is the exact measurements of my Abe's. That is a lot of capacity. Would a heat shield help keep the bottom rack from being so much hotter than the others? Looking forward to the pics of the latch system.

6 17x21 racks with room for 4" hotel pans is the exact measurements of my Abe's. That is a lot of capacity. Would a heat shield help keep the bottom rack from being so much hotter than the others? Looking forward to the pics of the latch system.

Thanks so much. Having the same measurements is a coincidence but do you think my capacity estimates (above) are accurate. I certainly don't want to over estimate for potential buyers.

There is a 1/4" diffuser (heat shield) at the top of the firebox, about 3" below the lowest cooking grate.

As an aside, I think there might be a way to take advantage of the hotter lowest cooking grate - I'm probably gonna fab a couple appliances, one to hold a pizza stone at the lowest grate level and one to put a "top" at the second grate level for cooking pizzas.

Your estimates are accurate except the brisket. You may fit 2 9 pound briskets per rack but not 2 14 pounders. I only cook 1 or 2 at a time so it works for me.

Good idea to take advantage of the higher temps. My top rack is 15° hotter and I use it for chicken.

Looks Fantastic! As far as paint jobs go, why not:

2nai5n9.jpg

Call it Jukebox Hero. :becky:

As an aside, I think there might be a way to take advantage of the hotter lowest cooking grate - I'm probably gonna fab a couple appliances, one to hold a pizza stone at the lowest grate level and one to put a "top" at the second grate level for cooking pizzas.

You might need more intake area to be able to get the 700/800 degree temps for doing pizza if that type pie cooking was what you were thinking about. Just a thought.

Door Latch Mechanism

Had a few essential farm chores (farkin fall army worms - had to spray pastures) but finally got some time to fabricate the cook chamber door latch. Tried 2-3 prototypes, but settled on this arrangement.

This is a shot of the inside of the door in the "open door". You can see the 1/2' rods are retracted.

image_zps7c6212bd.jpg

This is a shot in the "closed door" position, the 1/2" rods extended (they lock into the upper and lower door sills).

image_zpsc672e885.jpg

And a shot of the door closed and locked. Of course the vice grips will be replaced with a spring handle, bent to a comfortable angle to operate. The left door is held captive to the right door and they both close and lock tight enough that I doubt and gaskets will be needed.

image_zpse323f670.jpg

Very nice, Dave!

Earl has a similar closure arrangement. You could maybe save some steel by just putting guides at the top/bottom unless the flat bar is also for stiffening of the door.

1264642_514824361945614_730297925_o.jpg

I just test fitted a 12LB and 14LB brisket and they fit with plenty of room. You can fit 2 14 pounders. They will fit a little tight and may touch the back wall but they will not touch each other or the side walls. After they shrink it should not be an issue. Sorry about the bad information. I don't normally cook big briskets much less several at one time. I'm doing 5 briskets and 3 flats tomorrow.

Last edited:
Fabrication done, ready for paint

Got a nice break yesterday, humidity dropped below 65%, light breeze and overcast so I was able to get it cleaned up and the high temp primer applied.

2014-09-19085825600x800600x800_zpsaa3df3fa.jpg

2014-09-19085915600x800_zps4eeb77e8.jpg

Here is a shot of the firebox door latch (with a stop pin to keep it in position when opened).

2014-09-19090028600x800_zpsaf2df8fe.jpg

And, the top exhaust & cover.

2014-09-19090101600x800_zpsaa22eaa3.jpg

2014-09-19090119600x800_zps1025620d.jpg

I'm trying a new paint from Dampney; a high temp paint formulated and used for wood stoves. These pictures are with their 245 high temp primer in place, the final will be their Thurmalox 270 series paint. The ratings for the paint are about the same as the Rustoleum High Temp Ultra I'm used to. I purchased paint in quarts and I'm shooting with a HVLP gun, but it does come in rattle cans for future touch up. Nice thing about this paint is it comes in a variety of flat/satin colors; bad thing is it is pretty expensive.

image_zpsb20ee2fd.jpg

Looks like 100% humidity and rain today so final painting probably delayed until Sunday.

Fantastic job, man you got a good setup getting those custom fabricated parts for 10% over your usual cost for steel. If I ever found a deal like that I would certainly be building more cookers!

So what's the MSRP on this fine piece of BBQ equipment?

Not 100% sure yet. I just updated my spreadsheet so I know what I have in it (more that I had planned due to the french door, fancy paint and fire basket/ash pan) but I really want to get the paint finished, do the seasoning burn and maybe a cook or two over the next week or so to make sure it cooks as intended.

I will say that I'm tinkering with the idea of driving out to the North Texas Brethren Bash in mid-October so I might be able to handle free shipping/delivery for locations between north-Florida and the north-Dallas area.

I have been following this since this spring and love the concept. The french doors make it unique and lighter doors than it may otherwise have. I can't wait to see it in action and get your feedback. I do have one question for you though. Why not use the same cam type door lock on the firebox? To me anyway since I am not a fabricator at all, it would kinda keep it all together with some uniformity I guess for lack of a more articulate word.

Mike

Back