THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'd say shortening or lard. If it works for cast iron it will work for your smoker. Though I'm not sure that there is a huge difference between any neutral oils.

It seems easier and cleaner for me to use shorting applied like I would car wax. The few times I used Pam or other spray cans I got too much or over spray in some areas. This made a little mess.
I do use Pam to touch up areas after a cleaning or on my grates.

I use flax seed oil on all my cast iron it gives it a hard durable nonstick coating with a good shine the key is to do several very thin coats not one thick coat it should work the same on ur smoker.. i have tried many diff things that work like lard, peanut oil, bacon grease, ect they all work fine just found that flaxseed oil is the hardest most durable and non stick of all of them..kinda pricey but worth it in the long run when u dont have to do it as often

I use flax seed oil on all my cast iron it gives it a hard durable nonstick coating with a good shine the key is to do several very thin coats not one thick coat it should work the same on ur smoker.. i have tried many diff things that work like lard, peanut oil, bacon grease, ect they all work fine just found that flaxseed oil is the hardest most durable and non stick of all of them..kinda pricey but worth it in the long run when u dont have to do it as often

I agree with this. There is a science behind it that has to do with omega-3s, ala's and burn point of free radicals in flaxseed oil.

Here is a great article explaining the chemistry of it all
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Back