Scores/comment cards

TexArlina BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Anyone ever received a comment card with all 9's from a judge that didn't reflect on the score sheets? Happened to me this weekend. Starting to wonder if I got someone else's scores...:crazy:

Most likely you got someone else comment card.

When the judge completes the card he must put down your box number. He may have typoed the number.

After the comment card gets turned into the rep he must go to the "cheat sheet" that decodes the box number to your team number. He may have transposed numbers at this point.

The comment cards have a small strip at the top for the judges to put the team number. It is perforated so it can be separated by the rep after converting the box # to the team # to preserve the double blind system. Some times this slip gets torn off the comment card so the reps have no way of knowing which team the comment card belongs to. They are aware of this issue and hopefully have redesigned the next batch of comments cards.

That happened to us three or four years ago. I called the KCBS office and they sent me copies of the score cards to verify. It turned out that the scores on the comment card were wrong, but what was in the results was right.

Errors in sample number on the comment card are not uncommon.

When there is time, the best Reps will go through all the comment cards to make sure they match up with the actual scores for that team. At the comp last weekend we had several that didn't match up, and the Reps discard them to eliminate confusion.

When there is not time before awards to audit all the comment cards, it is possible a cook will receive one that was meant for another team but the judge wrote down the wrong number. If that happens, just ignore it and toss it as the comment was not about your entry.

Happened to us a few weeks ago.
The scores on the comment card weren't on the results sheet for any judge.
We called the rep the next day and were told not to worry about it, to just throw away the comment card as it probably wasn't ours.

I understand mistakes happen, but this sure didn't give us a great amount of confidence in the reps.

Back