Scored a Weber Performer SS today.

clskinsfan

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hey all. I scored a Weber performer SS with gas assist today for $32. I have been looking for one for A LONG TIME. It has a red kettle which I am not to hot on. And the kettle itself is a little beat up (Handle missing and rusted, Lid holder busted out one of the holes, ETC ETC. I have a black kettle and want to swap it onto the Performer. Can it even be done? It appears the burner hole and bracket holes would need to be drilled. I have never attempted to drill holes in a weber grill before and am concerned about the exterior chipping.

I have never done it, but I would say it would be like drilling glass. Put some tape where you want to drill, and use a good sharp bit.

I converted an old weber kettle into a propane powered pizza oven some time ago. It required extensive surgery and putting tape over the areas I cut really helped.

I have done this before.

This is the CL freebie I started with...

31013722340_9f55151a87_c.jpg

31238834462_2594b15c97_c.jpg

Even with tape, the porcelain still chips a bit. You can't actually see the imperfections so no big deal to me. The tape in the pic is just a template I made. I put new tape on kettle before drilling. It worked out grate!

30606150944_abb9dc8c4a_c.jpg

31058108960_04ef8f9ba6_c.jpg

31312697141_a058de5f89_c.jpg

30606155114_664f9d83e6_c.jpg

I already had the SS Performer cart that was in really good condition.

30755411163_a575156700_c.jpg

Ultimately, I put the red kettle in a different cart and sold it, because I found a red in way better condition and still have it.

Just an update on this one. I just kept the red kettle. It is in great condition. Needed a good cleaning. I swapped my black lid onto it and fixed the igniter as well. Runs great with a full size tank. Got some fresh burgers ready to drop onto it tonight. It cleaned up really well and with the black lid and red kettle it matches my UDS perfectly. (It is black and red as well) Hell of a deal for $32. Now to start with the mods!

Great price. I also have a red SS Performer that I found on CL for $65 back in 2009. I fixed it all up with new parts and painted the cart. I still have it but don't use it much.

You will love that grill. I picked one out of the trash while driving through a rich neighborhood a bunch of years ago. When it started to really fall apart I ran right out and bought a new one.

That propane assist is also great for lighting a chimney for my WSM.

Chris

Back