Score these two pork boxes for appearance

So, when are we going to learn the actual scores?

I thought I'd let it run through today to garner as many ratings from users as possible. Tomorrow I'll compile all the scores y'all gave and summarize them along with the numbers the judges gave these two boxes.

This thread gave me a hankering for pulled pork sammich..

sucks for me...

arghhhhhhhhhhh.

I have to agree with those scores even though I am not a CBJ. I have 15lbs of pork in the freezer that i have to keep for a party. I really want some of it.

I am a CBJ

Box A - 7 (the garnish overpowers the meat; the meat looks dry to me. Needs more shine)

Box B - 8 (has shine and is not overpowered by garnish; I'd like to see more pink meat and bark in this one to make it a 9)

A-6
B-7

Garnish is too "wild" for me. Get the garnish even around the edges on B and you have a 8 or 9.

I'm going to bet that box A had a better overall score. The suspense is killing me.

I'm going to bet that box A had a better overall score. The suspense is killing me.

I'm with the media whore. Box A all the way. I'm not a certified judge and haven't done many contests but if you look past the parsley and focus on the meat, box B looks over cooked, hidden by a nice sauce coating. A more focused bed of greens and a light coat of sauce on pork A would be killer IMO.

As an aside, is that an elvis tablecloth under the box in pic A?

Here's the final tally and actual scores!

OK, here's the results of the experiment.

Brethren who posted gave the following marks:
Box A
777768687777978 -> Average CBJ score = 7.2
8787777776 -> Average non-CBJ score = 7.1
Overall average score = 7.16

Box B
988879889888988 -> Average CBJ score = 8.2
8898688887 -> Average non-CBJ score = 7.8
Overall average score = 8.04
And here are the actual scores the judges awarded. In each case the contest advertised 100% KCBS Certified Judges.

Box A - Winchester, TN 2007
767778 -> Average appearance score = 7.0

Box B - Kennesaw, GA 2007
999999 -> Average appearance score = 9.0

About the boxes:
Box A garnered the lowest appearance score we've ever received. We were unable to find decent curly leaf parsley so we had to go with flat leaf, which as several folks mentioned gave the garnish an unkempt appearance. In addition, we felt the pork was a bit bland, so we mixed in some rub after pulling. This strategy apparently didn't help our taste scores much, but the gritty look it gave the pork certainly hurt us in appearance. This box placed 44th out of 54 teams.

Box B recieved our highest appearance score - a perfect six 9s. We were pretty happy with it at the time, though now under close scrutiny I would have liked to remove those few stringy looking bits in the center. Despite the appearance numbers, we were surprised that this box only placed 19th out of 39 teams, our lowest category of the contest.

What it means:
The Brethren and the table judges were almost perfectly in sync on Box A. While the Brethren agreed that Box B was better than A, they didn't like it as much as the table judges did. Those that identified themselves as CBJs were slightly more generous with scoring than uncertified Brethren.

Beyond that, I don't think you can draw any meaningful conclusions. There were some insightful comments that may be helpful to us in the future and I hope you had some fun with the experiment. Thanks for participating!

-Gowan

Well, it certainly proves a hypothesis that I've concluded long ago... whatever my expectation is, usually turns out to be the opposite. If I think something is awesome, it tanks. If I think an entry is sub-par, it does well.

Just ask Randy, Andy, or KC_Bobby. Bob heard me cussing my food at a comp last year and we won GC. This weekend I was critical of Andy's chicken and he placed 2nd.

Fun experiment. Thanks.

What it means:
The Brethren and the table judges were almost perfectly in sync on Box A. While the Brethren agreed that Box B was better than A, they didn't like it as much as the table judges did. Those that identified themselves as CBJs were slightly more generous with scoring than uncertified Brethren.

Beyond that, I don't think you can draw any meaningful conclusions. There were some insightful comments that may be helpful to us in the future and I hope you had some fun with the experiment. Thanks for participating!

-Gowan

I gave box A a 7, because while it looked nice and appetizing I thought it looked slightly dry and had noticable rub shaken on it after being cooked. Of course, the look of dryness have been due to the light the photo was taken in. I did like the size of the chunks and the bark.

I gave box B an 8 because I thought it looked almost top notch, but not quite a 9. Moist and a very good presentation. Again seeing it in person could have made it a 9, I don't know.

What I took away from this is to make sure I have good curly parsley. As judges we are not suppose to score on this, but to me this experiment is just more evidence to do all the little things possible to make the presentation the best possible. One presentation point either way can easily change where a turn in finishes.

BTW, so far with turning in money muscle pork in 3 comps this year, we've finished 1st, 8th and 3rd. I'd like to give Plowboy Todd, Pickled Paul and Wicked Randy a HUGE shout out letting me watch them in action. Last year Boondoggle received 1 call in 5 comps, so far this year we have 7 in 3 comps. :wink:

Back