Score these entries please, just for grins.

The leaf lettuce looked brown on the tops so I would trim down and use less.

I don't know if you are taking the greens in consideration while judging but one thing to remember is that this is a meat contest. You do not judge the garnish. You should look at this box and ignore the fact that the lettuce is there. So what if the lettuce has some brown on the tops.

You gave the chicken a 6? Come on now. KCBS says to start at a 6. Even though one piece of chicken has a small imperfection so what! This entry desrves at least an 8. I'd knock a point for the piece that looks like it had already been sampled on but that's only because there is no half point system. When I judge for appearance I do not even consider the garnish even being there. Someone made the comment, don't let the lettuce detract. The lettuce only detracts if you are using the lettuce as a deciding factor while scoring. I think one should eleminate the lettce from the mind while looking at the meat(which is what you are supposed to only be judging in the first place.
A box will get the same score from me whether or not there is any green (brown spots or not) or not any green whatsoever.

That to me is fair and consistant judging as it should be.

To me, the garnish can make the turn in look better by highlighting the meat. If the garnish is bad, though, it will detract from the meat by presenting something that looks messy. If you can't turn in decent garnish, go without it. I think I implied that my scores weren't great because of lettuce, but that's not necessarily so... I was pointing out that the lettuce, if used, should be cleaner and should enhance, not detract.

I think the whole garnish thing is silly.
All entries should just be wrapped in white butcher paper and turned in.

I'd eat that chicken!
I'd junk the ribs.
Probably pass on the pork.
Brisket looks good.

Just my "Judgements"
Don't know from scoring.

I wanted to comment on the thighs....I have never entered thighs just so you know, we do half chickens in IBCA. My comment is..... Prepare about 18 of them and pick out the best 6, that way you wont have that oops one on the left.

To me, the garnish can make the turn in look better by highlighting the meat. If the garnish is bad, though, it will detract from the meat by presenting something that looks messy. If you can't turn in decent garnish, go without it. I think I implied that my scores weren't great because of lettuce, but that's not necessarily so... I was pointing out that the lettuce, if used, should be cleaner and should enhance, not detract.

I have to agree. I posted earlier that I grade on the meat only - unless the garnish detracts from it. You can't show off your meat if it is hidden under drooping leaves, you also detract from it with sauce all over your container and the garnish leaves. And leaves that protrude several inches out of the box look messy. I also think leaving the hard core on the leaves, takes up space, and makes your meat sit unevenly. I would never put anything with brown or black edges/holes in it. I know I wouldnt want to eat something served on a bed of rotting greens.

Bottom line - if you are adding garnish, it can't be sloppy. It can't detract from your meat. And if it makes your meat "pop" in the container - and look that much better - that is why you put it there in the first place. :eusa_clap

I think the whole garnish thing is silly.

I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about garnish, but... Garnish is optional for KCBS. If you are going to use it, do ti right.

Back to Todd's turn-ins. I'm following the observations made by The_Kapn in this thread.

Chicken - 7
The garnish is sloppy and needs a trim or tucking in. The chicken looks slightly dark but if the garnish had been better I probably wouldn't score down for the color. It's more of an observation.

Ribs - 6
The garnish is sloppy and the lettuce has brown spots, burnt edges and bug holes. The ribs are arranged a little sloppy and the edges are uneven.

Pork - 7
Same comments on the garnish. The slices with bark look good but the arrangement is uneven. The slices on the top are placed "horizontal" and the slices on the bottom are placed "vertical". I think the box would look better if they were the same way top and bottom.

Brisket - 8
Same comments on garnish. The meat looks good but the slices could have been arranged a little more carefully. The garnish is overwhelming the meat. I would put in either more meat or riase it up in the box as suggested earlier.

I'd trim or not stack the top of the lettuce so high... A little too "bushy"

Scores I note below are based strictly on the meat, not the layout,garnish issue.

Chicken looks good.. A little bit more glaze might be nice... The one pc of the left threw me off with the trimming. (7- 8 )

Ribs look good.. (7-8 )

Pork looks a bit dry. Bark looks nice.. I'd consider adding some more sauce to it all. (6)

Brisket looks fantastic... It the box had a few more pieces and a little less green it would be perfect. (9)

Yup.......

I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about garnish, but... Garnish is optional for KCBS. If you are going to use it, do ti right.

Back to Todd's turn-ins. I'm following the observations made by The_Kapn in this thread.

Chicken - 7
The garnish is sloppy and needs a trim or tucking in. The chicken looks slightly dark but if the garnish had been better I probably wouldn't score down for the color. It's more of an observation.

Ribs - 6
The garnish is sloppy and the lettuce has brown spots, burnt edges and bug holes. The ribs are arranged a little sloppy and the edges are uneven.

Pork - 7
Same comments on the garnish. The slices with bark look good but the arrangement is uneven. The slices on the top are placed "horizontal" and the slices on the bottom are placed "vertical". I think the box would look better if they were the same way top and bottom.

Brisket - 8
Same comments on garnish. The meat looks good but the slices could have been arranged a little more carefully. The garnish is overwhelming the meat. I would put in either more meat or riase it up in the box as suggested earlier.

Wow. Thanks Ron. The things you saw and your suggestions all make perfect sense. I'm going to print out all these and have them at the table when I box up at the next comp. Just to make sure I catch all the stuff you pros saw, that I didn't see. Thanks again to all that responded.

Being the one responsible for 'appearance,' I am grateful for the pics. Please keep posting your turn-ins so we can see what everyone else's looks like.

Chicken 7
Ribs 6
Pork 7
Brisket 8
Brisket might get a 9 for taste if I was closer to it.

Chicken ~ I would give a 6, a piece on the left looked like it had a "nick" or missing piece.

Yeah - I blew up that piece of chicken when I was placing it in the box. We really didn't have a better looking piece to replace it with . . . plus we were outta time.

These were my first boxes with garnish that I ever prepared - ever! - so I REALLY appreciate the comments on how to improve in that area. (And a Big Thanks to the MOKAN Meatheads for letting me peek at their insanely excellent garnish jobs on their turn in boxes! :-D )

Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments!

While garnishments should not be considered when judging appearance, I know many do score down on it if it's not attractive and adding to the appearance; ie: too much, hanging over the container, brown or bug spots, not all green, sauce on the lettuce. It definitely distracts although I do not judge the garnish either. Use less, trim nicely, all green color, etc.
Chicken (8 - thigh on left affects score.
Ribs(8 - line up evenly
Pork (7) - looks dry; third piece from top looks like leftovers on it, remove/clean it up. You need clean slices. Arrange better, perhaps more sauce and it would bring your score up.
Brisket (8 - line slices more evenly. If less lettuce were used it would not overpower the appearance. Or, add a few more slices in the container. Assure there is never sauce left of your container or the garnish.
Just another opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicken (8 - thigh on left affects score.
Ribs(8 - line up evenly
Pork (7) - looks dry; third piece from top looks like leftovers on it, remove/clean it up. You need clean slices. Arrange better, perhaps more sauce and it would bring your score up.
Brisket (8 - line slices more evenly. If less lettuce were used it would not overpower the appearance. Or, add a few more slices in the container.
I'm no judge, but I am absorbing what you all know like a sponge. This is exactly the same way I scored it when I first looked at the pics. I love these threads because it helps me learn so damn much!

Back