School me on this smashburger thing

Are people using a seasoning of some kind to help get this "crust"? Or is it just from the contact with the hot surface?

The grill grates griddle...i assume that can be put directly on existing gas grill grates? Or do you need to put it on the "standard" grill grates? I have looked into custom fabeicated griddles to retrofit my weber before..thenones that have edge walls. I believe those are steel. What would be the benefit of the grill grate griddle (besides cheaper) over that style griddle? I am interested in a blackstone, but the wife already says "how many things do you need to cook on?" Hahaha

Last edited:
Same here, I rarely get it much above the lowest setting. The only time I've put it on high was to season it. Mine is a 28" though and has the "H" shaped burners instead of one long tube and I wondered if that had something to do with how hot it gets

I also leave one of the end burners off to hold food but even then mine is still pretty hot there so I've been putting one of my stainless wire racks against the side and hold on it. Can cover it with an upside down foil pan if I want.

Kinda nice for draining excess grease off of meats too.

I also leave one of the end burners off to hold food but even then mine is still pretty hot there so I've been putting one of my stainless wire racks against the side and hold on it. Can cover it with an upside down foil pan if I want.

Kinda nice for draining excess grease off of meats too.

Ooooh.... I like that idea. May have to borrow that. :thumb:

Are people using a seasoning of some kind to help get this "crust"? Or is it just from the contact with the hot surface?

The grill grates griddle...i assume that can be put directly on existing gas grill grates? Or do you need to put it on the "standard" grill grates? I have looked into custom fabeicated griddles to retrofit my weber before..thenones that have edge walls. I believe those are steel. What would be the benefit of the grill grate griddle (besides cheaper) over that style griddle? I am interested in a blackstone, but the wife already says "how many things do you need to cook on?" Hahaha

I don't use a seasoning, just salt, but I suppose you could. ETA - somehow aside from blackened fish I'm not a fan of burnt seasonings. That's why I only use salt.

Yes the grill grate griddle can be put directly on regular existing grates.

The grill grates are nice IMO because they are light anodized aluminum. They heat quickly, clean easily, store easily, and are near non-stick. You don't have to worry about rust. I keep one plate on my grill at all times for small stuff I don't want falling thru the grates. You can use one plate or as many as will fit on your grill to suit your needs. You can fasten them all together or use them in sections over your burners for zoned heat with less "carry over" compared to ferrous griddles. Very versatile but no upturned sides to keep your food on the griddle.

Last edited:
I'm also a medium rare burger guy but smashburgers retain so much juiciness that it doesn't matter. They are so thin as well that the idea of "well-done" isn't the same as a well-done grilled burger which will be a thick brick. Actually, the last round I did on the cast-iron skillet had a bit of pink in the middle as I took them off a bit early after the flip.

Added bonus is the cheese skirt when the cheese melts off the sides and on to the griddle/skillet. Amazing mixture of fried cheese and the fats and oils on the griddle/skillet. On the Blackstone, I like to squirt a small amount of water and put a dome over them to get the cheese melting a bit faster since I usually use Tillamook cheddar and not the meltier American slices.

I dice up some onions and place on the griddle and put the meat ball on top. Smash the burger into the onions. Adds a nice flavor to the burger

Back