Say it aint so Costco!

Bucknekked

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Terry
I was reading in an online version of the L.A. Times (yeah, that's another story) and the headline article was "Costco has stopped selling cap ribeyes".

That's right, the headline said my favorite cut of steak in the whole world was being discontinued by Costco. No more prime cap ribeyes!

I took it seriously enough I went and got dressed and moseyed on over to my neighborhood Costco to check it out. There were no cap ribeyes in the case. That's not unusual as I usually see them in the little popup butcher booth they setup on weekends. I rang for the butcher and asked him about it. He said I was the 5th person just that day to ask him about it. He said he had not heard of it, but, the popup butcher booth would be back this Saturday and he felt they would still have them. Unless of course, they don't and they are discontinued.

WHAT SAY YOU? Anybody want to go and look in their Costco's and ask the same question? This would be very bad news if true. The Cap Ribeye is just a wonderful cut of steak. I would shed a tear if it was truly gone.

They've never had them at my Costco. Some things are still regional.
wow. never had them? I don't know which is the worse situation. Never having had them, or, having had them and then have them yanked away.

The cap ribeye cut is one I have never seen outside of a Costco. You have to deal with a lot of beef to have the bandwidth to make cap ribeyes and still sell the rest of the stuff on the carcass at a profit.

That'll be disappointing, as we've grabbed them whenever we're in Lubbock. Boo!

I really loved that cut. My 2 complaints were it was tenderized, which just feels unneeded for a ribeye cap and second, they refused to sell it to me whole before being rolled and tired. That never made sense to me. I was even there one day when they were cutting them in the back and they still couldn't sell them whole.

Not sure how much you love this cut. and what you would be willing to pay, but this is the best beef I have ever eaten.
https://www.crowdcow.com/products/japanese-a5-wagyu-rib-caps?filter[bid_item]=imlj3iv8e

I really loved that cut. My 2 complaints were it was tenderized, which just feels unneeded for a ribeye cap and second, they refused to sell it to me whole before being rolled and tired. That never made sense to me. I was even there one day when they were cutting them in the back and they still couldn't sell them whole.

Not sure how much you love this cut. and what you would be willing to pay, but this is the best beef I have ever eaten.
https://www.crowdcow.com/products/japanese-a5-wagyu-rib-caps?filter[bid_item]=imlj3iv8e
The Crowd Cow stuff is very tempting. I have been eyeing their website for over a month. Costco prices for prime tend to blunt my interest a bit. But, if my favorite cut is gone, I guess crowd cow becomes more attractive again.

At least Costco is still doing tomahawk ribeyes. Those beauties are still there

I have liked the stuff from Crowd Cow. I was a bit less impressed with the "normal" level of meat, but the A5 wagyu is amazing (and priced accordingly).

But i agree, every time i want to buy free range, heritage breed, organic, happy animal meat i end up back at Costco after the sticker shock.

I love ribeye cap, but still attached to the rib "eye". I came to the conclusion after eating them a couple times that coiled up with the silver skin still attached leads to some interesting mouth feel. Guess I'm the odd duck out on this one :becky:

I love ribeye cap, but still attached to the rib "eye". I came to the conclusion after eating them a couple times that coiled up with the silver skin still attached leads to some interesting mouth feel. Guess I'm the odd duck out on this one :becky:
After reading many opinions on the BBQ Brethren website from all over the globe, I'm not at all sure how you could define "odd duck" in this crowd. :razz:

Mine had them last weekend. They don't always have them, but I'd say 80% of the time they are there.

Wonder if it is just regional. That La times article was the only one I saw when I googled it.

I can't say I blame them for discontinuing it. Who would purchase a ribeye without the cap? Then again I'm not a fan of Costco steaks when the label says it's been needled and I must cook this USDA prime steak to pathogen safe 160.

My #1 complaint with their steaks. Ive never seen a tenderizer at Sam's nor have I seen the marks on the steaks I buy.

They stopped carrying briskets around me too. Even said their Depot was out. Havnt seen one in a few months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke to a butcher at Costco yesterday and he said the decision to stop rib eye caps came down from corporate. However, I bought 4 nicely marbled choice rib-eyes and removed/trimmed caps and made my own. Cooked everything tonight on my PK and had a great dinner.

I never understood why they would cut the cap off and ruin the rest of the ribeye to get a slight markup on the cap. I guess someone at corporate finally did the math.

Count me as one of the people that loves the ruined part of the ribeye. Our go to when visiting Costco is a package or two of the prime eye of the ribeye. It is an awesome, tender piece of meat. I'm sure they'll discontinue that too, if they're getting rid of the cap.

Must be regional because I just came back from my local Costco and they had several along with Tomahawk ribeye. $18.99 /lb for prime ribeye cap steaks.

ffyCeCJl.jpg

I passed on the ribeye cap and instead picked up some $7.49 /lb prime picanha.

Back