THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You're gonna love making sausage. Don't get discouraged by any failed early attempts. There are so many sausages on my to-do list, I sometimes wonder if it's possible to try them all.:cool:

You're gonna love making sausage. Don't get discouraged by any failed early attempts. There are so many sausages on my to-do list, I sometimes wonder if it's possible to try them all.:cool:

Thanks Big,

I'm gonna finish this book, and then have at it. I'll post the results, good or bad.

Clue me Daddy..... What is the Spice Matrix used for?

Smoke will have to answer that. I wondered that, myself. If it's a very useful application, I can install the database on the server and write a dynamic display script. It would take maybe 20 minutes.

Clue me Daddy..... What is the Spice Matrix used for?
That was a little tool I made several years ago when I was new to making rubs. the purpose for it was in designing rubs from scratch to get flavors that go together.

Where there is an X at the intersection of ingredients means those two ingredients go together. So what you can do is pick a flavor you want, say Garlic for example, and select it by going to the Garlic column (column AO) and clicking the filter drop-down and selecting "X". After doing this, all of the ingredients listed in the rows on the left side are those that pair with Garlic. Say you also want Basil to go with that Garlic. Go to the Basil column and filter on "X" and now what is listed are ingredients that pair up with Garlic and Basil. You can keep on going as far as you can until you run out of options.

I hadn't used it in quite some time and ran across it on my PC recently, and decided I should share it in case it helped anyone else who would like to experiments and see what adding new flavors to things would be like, without having to learn through trial and error what does and does not work together.

Also, if you find a flavor pairing you think works well together that is not shown on this, all you have to do is add the ingredient as both a row and a column (if it's not already there) and then put an "X" on the things you know it pairs well with. I don't presume to have included every flavor pairing known to man on there, just a whoel bunch known to work from my experiences, and from the book "Herbs & Spices" by Jill Norman.

That was a little tool I made several years ago when I was new to making rubs. the purpose for it was in designing rubs from scratch to get flavors that go together.

Where there is an X at the intersection of ingredients means those two ingredients go together. So what you can do is pick a flavor you want, say Garlic for example, and select it by going to the Garlic column (column AO) and clicking the filter drop-down and selecting "X". After doing this, all of the ingredients listed in the rows on the left side are those that pair with Garlic. Say you also want Basil to go with that Garlic. Go to the Basil column and filter on "X" and now what is listed are ingredients that pair up with Garlic and Basil. You can keep on going as far as you can until you run out of options.

I hadn't used it in quite some time and ran across it on my PC recently, and decided I should share it in case it helped anyone else who would like to experiments and see what adding new flavors to things would be like, without having to learn through trial and error what does and does not work together.

Also, if you find a flavor pairing you think works well together that is not shown on this, all you have to do is add the ingredient as both a row and a column (if it's not already there) and then put an "X" on the things you know it pairs well with. I don't presume to have included every flavor pairing known to man on there, just a whoel bunch known to work from my experiences, and from the book "Herbs & Spices" by Jill Norman.

Cool. Would you like to see it work online?

Let us know how the first batch turns out. Maybe give some tips for those who are interested in making their own sausage...like me.

I was at Cabella's over the weekend looking at tents, then I saw their meat grinding display and all the sausage making kits...Wow!

My local deli makes the best Italian I've ever had and wondered how it would be smoked? That will be my next project.

but I really love Andouille and want learn how to make it cause I have to drive 12 hours each way to get to New Orleans to get it from my favorite place.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Thanks for the great links and recipes guys!
(another MUST_DO for coming summer)

Jan Willem

Slick, I printed the instructions and made a new worksheet with them on it. (worksheets would be handy to store other information on too) I'm sure I'll have questions later on.... but for now, when I select one ingredient with the "X" how do I un-do that choice?

You can either unclick them one at a time by clcikign the filter drop down and selecting "All", or go back and undo all filters by going to the menu bar and clicking Data->Filter->Show All.

You can either unclick them one at a time by clcikign the filter drop down and selecting "All", or go back and undo all filters by going to the menu bar and clicking Data->Filter->Show All.

Thank you for taking the time to create that database. I've been using it quite a bit. But this morning, I found an error: Access didn't like some of your column names, the ones with spaces and special characters. As sick as I am, I probably should have ignored it and dealt with it later, but my nature is to take a problem head on.

Renamed the columns and replaced the spaces with underscores and all of the spices now display:

http://cartlet.com/spices/display.asp

I've been using the heck out of it, it's a valuable tool. Thank you again!

Last edited:
Back