Sauce for chicken?

Toxic q

Knows what a fatty is.
Been practicing all winter and I'm pretty happy with my rubs and sauce combos on everything except for chicken. I can't put my finger on it, I get a good taste from some of the things I've tried but can't seem to find that wow factor when it comes to chicken. Play around with some more stuff I guess, my kitchen has become a bbq sauce graveyard. Lol

Blues Hog Original still wins..... just make sure you strain it.

It does, but it can overwhelm the flavor of chicken quickly.

I find that many cooks down here in the SE use a sauce with a little bit of a bite on chicken. That won't translate from region to region necessarily (Michigan judges hated our spicy chicken last summer), but down here that's very common.

It does, but it can overwhelm the flavor of chicken quickly.

I find that many cooks down here in the SE use a sauce with a little bit of a bite on chicken. That won't translate from region to region necessarily (Michigan judges hated our spicy chicken last summer), but down here that's very common.

Do you care to elaborate more on the sauce and spice level? Just out of curiosity...

You have to take into consideration the combo of the sauce with whatever rub/brine/injection you use. And what fuel you use. Hate to say it but you should buy a small bottle and see if it fits in your profile. Blues Hog and Swamp Boys are great sauces and I'm sure they will not wind up in your graveyard.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
I'm sure I'm late to the party, but is anyone having any success with Head Country on chicken. Personally I absolutely love it on chicken at home, but haven't tried it on comp chicken yet. Had been doing really well with Swamp Boys but last few comps not so much... looking to change things up.

Head Country does pretty well on ibca chicken but I get the idea that kcbs judges like something a little less smokey on chicken.

Personally, I like Smoke This KC Style, and I have mentioned before that every time I've used swamp boys original I've gotten a call in chicken.

Also, knowing how good Sterling Smith is with chicken, I'm anxious to get my hands on his new sauce. I'd bet money that it'll be a winner.

Give Swamp Boys Original a try.

I have no problem saying Swamp Boys Original is one of the sauces I use on a cateogry. I actually use it straight when I use it too.

Do you care to elaborate more on the sauce and spice level? Just out of curiosity...

Anytime you incorporate spice, you do not want it to burn their lips off or linger. We have found a sauce that has a great flavor and spice, and paired with the rub we use, it does exactly what we need it to do. It gives a little hint of spice, but it does not linger at all.

As was stated, you cannot just adjust a sauce without cooking and trying it with your rub pairings. I find some sauces will also totally change flavor or spice level when heated, so even tasting out of the bottle does not tell you much.

I agree with Beth. Thanks for the dollar bill in Auburn Hills last year. Hopefully it's on again? :)

Sauce needs to compliment, not overpower. I have heard a 1000 times that KCBS is a sauce contest. In some respects yes, but not in chicken.

BTW, Rubs sauce is awesome on chicken!

Seen blues hog and swamp boys mentioned here multiple times. One could always do something crazy like mix the 2 together.

I agree with Beth. Thanks for the dollar bill in Auburn Hills last year. Hopefully it's on again? :)

Sauce needs to compliment, not overpower. I have heard a 1000 times that KCBS is a sauce contest. In some respects yes, but not in chicken.

BTW, Rubs sauce is awesome on chicken!

It's on! But how about we up the ante?! :mrgreen:

I'll throw $1 on each category. I'll gladly walk away with two calls again like last year.

Beth, Michigan judges hated everything i threw at them last year!

QUOTE=J&B'sBBQ;3738802]It does, but it can overwhelm the flavor of chicken quickly.

I find that many cooks down here in the SE use a sauce with a little bit of a bite on chicken. That won't translate from region to region necessarily (Michigan judges hated our spicy chicken last summer), but down here that's very common.[/QUOTE]

Beth, Michigan judges hated everything i threw at them last year!

QUOTE=J&B'sBBQ;3738802]It does, but it can overwhelm the flavor of chicken quickly.

[/QUOTE]

I can say this because I am a Michigander and a Yankee (10 years in the south doesn't change where I'm from). People from Michigan, judges not excluded, are...particular... :biggrin1:. They like what they like and that's how it goes.

All joking aside, they liked my two categories that were more on the sweet side (pork and ribs), and hated the savory and spicy stuff. I'm just grateful that we have a better feel this time for when we come back.

It's on! But how about we up the ante?! :mrgreen:

I'll throw $1 on each category. I'll gladly walk away with two calls again like last year.

Well...I think we can do that! I am need to redeem myself. That was my very first contest when i started out and i seem to do the worst there. :(

Back