Santa Came Early!

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
My Daughter and Family live in St. Louis. A package landed on the door tonight from G&W Sausage! We cannot get good Brots here. When I was in Germany back in 1977 with the USAF I fell in love with the food! None more than Bortswerst with a hard roll and German mustard. Been to SLT several times and Son in Law was raised there. Everytime we went G&W Sausage was sold out.

AAOogv1.jpg

Whoa! Low and Behold!

a1juCXU.jpg

6U4rWTI.jpg

They arrived fully frozen and I have 2 questions.

1. There must be 20 links there. Thinking about partially thawing the package long enough to vac pack into two to three links each. Is this doable without hurting the meat?

2. Says Fully cooked on the label. Just gill it and serve?

Thanks for any and all input. May just throw a Brots Party and do them all at once!

Merry Christmas to All and Thanks.

Last edited:
I would portion them
Chuck in a sink full of water as is untill you can just start moving them apart then vac seal
My Saveloy is fully cooked, I throw them into hot water in thei vac bags untill warmed, then grill to char a bit.
Your a Lucky man
Oh Enjoy

Thanks Titch! That's what I was thinking too. Great idea about the partial water defrost. :thumb:

Pulling them apart shouldn't be difficult, and I like the idea of cooking them in water (sous vide, anyone?) and finished off on the grill. You are certainly a lucky guy. Have one for me!

Always interesting to me Mike. I’ve lived here my entire life and I’ve never been down there. I can buy some prepackaged frozen options in the grocery around the corner and I do like their jalapeño brats. Smoked sausage is average. Have some andouille in the freezer but haven’t had any yet, and I’ve been eyeing the knockwurt.

Ironically I have a few places I do get fresh sausage around here, and have for years...just never been to GW.

Brat cook:
Toss 'em on the grill 'till they look pretty...NOT 'til they're done. (otherwise they'll split open & be dry)
Put them in a pot of 1/2 beer & 1/2 water & a bunch of sliced onions.
Simmer.
Bun & gold mustard and you're ready for the Cardinals opening day!

Last edited:
Always interesting to me Mike. I’ve lived here my entire life and I’ve never been down there. I can buy some prepackaged frozen options in the grocery around the corner and I do like their jalapeño brats. Smoked sausage is average. Have some andouille in the freezer but haven’t had any yet, and I’ve been eyeing the knockwurt.

Ironically I have a few places I do get fresh sausage around here, and have for years...just never been to GW.

I've not been down there either; as they say, 'you can't beat their meat'. We are fortunate so many good places here in StL I should make more of an effort to branch out.

Brat cook:
Toss 'em on the grill 'till they look pretty...NOT 'til they're done. (otherwise they'll split open & be dry)
Put them in a pot of 1/2 beer & 1/2 water & a bunch of sliced onions.
Simmer.
Bun & gold mustard and you're ready for the Cardinals opening day!

Thanks Eric! i've never done them any other way (Johnsonville Brots from the grocery store) than to thaw and grill. Then pour beer over them which seems to pull it in as they cool. Never as good as the ones in Germany though. I'll give that a GO!

Back