Sanctioning

Question - Do either the JD or AR Invitationals recognize State GC's from sanctioning bodies other than KCBS?

Another short answer:
To my knowledge, the event doesn't necessarily have to be 'sanctioned' by anyone in particular as long as they meet the minimum requirements set forth by AR & JD. Basics include: State Proclamation from Governor, Minimum # of Teams, and Correct Meat Categories Cooked.

Carpe 'Que,
Jim

FBA is growing here in the south and will continue to expand as far as I know. I dont think that they have any issue traveling to sanction an event when you consider that they had an event in Panama City this past month...not Florida, Panama. Besides the volume that KCBS does I dont know of any advantage over FBA. Dont like garnish...FBA. Want to track judges and see what table you are at...FBA. Want to have the team of the year results updated quickly and available for all to sse...FBA. Want to listen to board meetings...FBA. Also tenderness counts slightly more than taste does which makes sense to me.

I also like the triple crown program and look forward to growing with FBA.

I think that there are 3 FBA events in GA and 4 KCBS...and maybe 5-6 MBN events. Everyone gets a slice in GA.

I think that you guy's get your knickers in a twist over small chit. The KCBS is simply a sanctioning body to the competition cooker. As a competition cook that it all it means. To a contest organizer it means a whole lot more. As an organizer I pay a fee, I get sanctioned and I have someone to administer the competition portion of the event. I will get representatives from the KCBS who will come and make sure the judges have some idea of what to do, make sure the contest is run with respect to rules as set forth by the KCBS and score the contest. It lends credibility to the contest that this portion of the contest is handled by a known third party. As a cooker, all the crap with the MMA and other BS means nothing. As a member of the KCBS I am concerned about some of the stuff that is happening but as a cooker, it really has no bearing. I don't really understand why anyone is concerned with the KCBS as a sanctioning body. Why reinvent the wheel? I don't think I would ever cook in a non sanctioned contest because I get no guarantees. I can cook the best Q this world has ever seen and the organizer can elect to give the prize to his neighbor. Cooking in a KCBS sanctioned event or for that matter any other sanctioned event prevents this. I have no idea why anyone would not want to use the KCBS as the sanctioning body for their contest. They have been doing this for a long time and have some dynamite reps. I know alot of you have dealt with Jerry and Linda Mullane. They are simply the best. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that does it as well.

I think that you guy's get your knickers in a twist over small chit. The KCBS is simply a sanctioning body to the competition cooker. As a competition cook that it all it means. To a contest organizer it means a whole lot more. As an organizer I pay a fee, I get sanctioned and I have someone to administer the competition portion of the event. I will get representatives from the KCBS who will come and make sure the judges have some idea of what to do, make sure the contest is run with respect to rules as set forth by the KCBS and score the contest. It lends credibility to the contest that this portion of the contest is handled by a known third party. As a cooker, all the crap with the MMA and other BS means nothing. As a member of the KCBS I am concerned about some of the stuff that is happening but as a cooker, it really has no bearing. I don't really understand why anyone is concerned with the KCBS as a sanctioning body. Why reinvent the wheel? I don't think I would ever cook in a non sanctioned contest because I get no guarantees. I can cook the best Q this world has ever seen and the organizer can elect to give the prize to his neighbor. Cooking in a KCBS sanctioned event or for that matter any other sanctioned event prevents this. I have no idea why anyone would not want to use the KCBS as the sanctioning body for their contest. They have been doing this for a long time and have some dynamite reps. I know alot of you have dealt with Jerry and Linda Mullane. They are simply the best. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that does it as well.
Guy, i am not complaining about KCBS or the job they do. I dont see anywhere in this thread where anybody is considering a non-sanctioned event. I am talking about having a choice. I could care less about politics of KCBS or anything that is going on currently. This is something that has been on my mind for a long time. If i searched i could probably find a post where i have discussed this previously . Nobody is trying to re-invent the wheel. Wouldnt you like a variety? I enjoy KCBS contests. I would like to also try to a different format. Shake things up a bit. Make it more challenging and interesting. Isnt variety the spice of life <--- yes i know i should be slapped for that one:tongue:

Guy, i am not complaining about KCBS or the job they do. I dont see anywhere in this thread where anybody is considering a non-sanctioned event. I am talking about having a choice. I could care less about politics of KCBS or anything that is going on currently. This is something that has been on my mind for a long time. If i searched i could probably find a post where i have discussed this previously . Nobody is trying to re-invent the wheel. Wouldnt you like a variety? I enjoy KCBS contests. I would like to also try to a different format. Shake things up a bit. Make it more challenging and interesting. Isnt variety the spice of life <--- yes i know i should be slapped for that one:tongue:

Sorry Steve, I misinterpreted your intentions and lumped that in with all the KCBS bashing lately. I apologize for my assumption as I now understand where you are coming from. I happen to agree with you here. It would be really alot of fun to cook another format or as you pointed out, have a choice. I am jones'in to try a Memphis in May style of contest.........Mia Culpa

Sorry Steve, I misinterpreted your intentions and lumped that in with all the KCBS bashing lately. I apologize for my assumption as I now understand where you are coming from. I happen to agree with you here. It would be really alot of fun to cook another format or as you pointed out, have a choice. I am jones'in to try a Memphis in May style of contest.........Mia Culpa
Being misunderstood is the story of my life (sigh) :biggrin:

Guy,

Thanks for the kind words. Jerry and I always try to do the best we can at contests. We try to treat everyone fairly and most of all follow the rules. Everyone gets the same treatment.

How would you guys feel about MIM competition style in the Northeast?

Linda

There have only been two sanctioning bodies in California (IBCA & KCBS). I don't mind either, but I prefer KCBS. If a promoter were to bring another sanctioned body, I'm for it, as long as they are on the up & up. I just want to compete and meet more people who have the same passion as I do.

Yes. As a matter of fact that's all we cook is non KCBS. I like it too. Sled just form your own BBQ association. You could also start a IBCA pit on the Island. Contrary to popular beleif KCBS is not the "end all, be all" of BBQ. After hearing the lastest news I'm holding Crapshoots membership fee until I see how this pans out. I think right now I'd sooner cook a local bar cookoff than a KCBS event. Here in Texas we BBQ, have fun, win good money, and can still get to the big five contests and never even utter those four letters. As far as I'm concerned they can sit on it.

Guy,

Thanks for the kind words. Jerry and I always try to do the best we can at contests. We try to treat everyone fairly and most of all follow the rules. Everyone gets the same treatment.

Linda

I know that we would love to do an MIM event.

Guy,

Linda

thats absolutly true.. especially when we see either one of you two walking towards us with that ' u dumb chit, you screwed up' look. :redface::cool:

KCBS is trying to provide a little variety as well... They started the "Competitor Series" contests. You want no garnish, great - have a contest in this series.... you want to cook stick burners only... or Gas only :wink: They would like to sanction your need for variety too :mrgreen:

Having said that - I don't mind unsanctioned events, and I would love to go try a TX event... get to turn in something other than just chicken thighs :rolleyes:

I' think your line of thought is right on Sled... variety would be nice.

Back