Contest Results Sams Glendale AZ. Results

I really enjoyed my first comp in AZ. Everyone treated us well and were really friendly. Now if I could just figure out how they like their chicken and ribs...

Mista is to nice to tell the story so I will. He took his ranch kettle and 85 gal. drum. We took my small trailer. Could not figure out where to hook the tie downs on the UDS, so I lift the lid and hook it on the lip, never thinking to secure the lid or just take it off and lay in the trailer. Well you can figure out what happend on a freeway at 70mph. We stop about an hour into the trip for breakfast and Neil ask where is the lid...Pretty low moment for me at that point.

I went and got a piece of plywood at the local ACE and he used it! He gets 7th in both Pork & Brisket, think what he might have done at 100%! Sorry Neil, Mr Nimrod was at his finist this weekend!

If anyone in So Cal knows of a place I can get a lid for an 85 Gal. UDS would you PM me as I need to get this replaced ASAP and I have no clue where to get. I have taken the plywood and cut into circle, routered the edges, will paint and put handle on so he can have someting in the mean time, but need to get him whole real quick!

Troy was in Gilbert with a sweet RV and Jambo pit. He was cooking food Saturday and giving out samples. We were told no samples to the public. Only family and friends.

That's not a Jambo pit. It is a Peoria Cooker.

Congrats to all who walk and to those going to the regional. All good teams. Gonna be a shootout in the West regional! We knew Gilbert was going to be a good one. Some hot teams coming out of the SW these days. :thumb:

Congrats to all that walked and to all of you that are moving on..like Tom said it was a very well ran comp Mike Lake was on top of every detail..we had a great time with our neighbors I.A.B.30,loot and booty,Iowa Smokey D's and Sin City Smokers..all of you guys are what this is really all about..good luck to all 7 of you!

Congrats to the first Sam's Regional qualifiers!

We got hammered by the health department and organizer last year in the Sam's event in Midwest City! We were having fun and giving away all our leftovers after each turn-in. Public was lovin' it and we were enjoying seeing them enjoy each meat. Then the folks in charge showed up after pork and told me I was not to give out any more. I didn't like it but I agreed. Then the health guy stood there and watched to make sure I didn't give anything out. Kinda pizzed me off. So the no handing out samples thing this year isn't surprising but it's a little messed up to publicize all this to their customers and not let them try anything.

I understand that, but here is the link to Sam's club.... see what you read as it states.....
http://www3.samsclub.com/meals/bbq

here is the statement under the KCBS banner section right above the schedule..... this is reference to what I am saying.....

There’s something for everybody at the Inaugural Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour events. Besides samplings, you can get exclusive barbecue tips and demonstrations from professional cooks, including Troy Black. And you get the excitement of seeing top cooks from your area go head to head for the chance to win big. Check out the schedule and get ready to have some fresh-off-the-grill fun.

SnMIs, yeah, I already read it. The samplings come from "Troy and the RV", and although the wording is not super clear, it does not say the teams provide the samples. Whether they were intentinally trying to be vague, I don't know.

I DO know, that aside from the weather and my results, the competition was superbly run. There is a certain charm that comes with smaller contests with teams packed together. I wish the weather had been better: I would have done more socializing.

I don't know how it will be at all contests but I would ask that checks be made out to the head cook. I just ran into a little issue at the bank and wasn't able to cash them since we don't have a business account set up and they would do that without a business license.

IMG_2108.jpg

While waiting to find a replacement lid for BigMista's 85 gal UDS, thought I would try and Pimp the temporary lid! Came out about as well as to be expected for my artistic abilities! As you can see I have on clue how to use a router!

If anyone knows where I can score an 85gal lid in So Cal please let me know!

First of all, congrats to all who had names called and those that are moving on!

I don't know how it will be at all contests but I would ask that checks be made out to the head cook. I just ran into a little issue at the bank and wasn't able to cash them since we don't have a business account set up and they would do that without a business license.

I ran into the same issue at a comp last year. The bank let me open a "D.B.A." (Doing Business As) account without any special license in the teams name. Now that's the only one I use for comps because its easier to track both expences and what little income I get for taxes.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I ran into the same issue at a comp last year. The bank let me open a "D.B.A." (Doing Business As) account without any special license in the teams name. Now that's the only one I use for comps because its easier to track both expences and what little income I get for taxes.

We did the same thing. It has Jim's name AND McFrankenboo BBQ on it so it makes it a lot easier than hassling with the bank over and over. Also, it does make it easier to put all the winnings into one account and then use that same account to pay for everything.

We did the same thing. It has Jim's name AND McFrankenboo BBQ on it so it makes it a lot easier than hassling with the bank over and over. Also, it does make it easier to put all the winnings into one account and then use that same account to pay for everything.

This is what we have been doing for the last three years. In addition to what Erin said above, it is also much easier to track expenses at tax time.

Back