Sam's Clubs to carry prime beef at all stores

There are apparently lots of promos for Sams club. A buddy mentioned it to me last month. My membership had lapsed so I did a search for the promos. Found one where I just clicked through another site, and was given a $45 credit back after I spent $45 in the store-so the membership was free!

edit- https://slickdeals.net/f/12632374-s...sions-apply?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1 might be worth checking out if you need a membership.

Thanks for posting this. We have not been members for years but I think I'm going to use this.

My local Sam's has carried prime brisket for awhile now. They only ever have two or three in the cooler at a time, compared to the pile of select briskets they have out. Weird part is that they have whole select and prime, but choice flats.

Just ask they will bring out another case

I had to stop at Sam's this morning to redeem my cash back reward. I figured I might be tempted to grab a prime packer and burn through of my rewards money. My store has had prime for a while including packers, but I have only ever bought prime steaks. For the same reason as before, today was no different. The price was good (around $3.25 if I remember correctly), and they even had some reasonably sized 12.5-14 pound packers retailed. The issue was that I can get far better quality choice for much cheaper. They all had an obscene amount of hard fat and really nasty looking and thick fat cap. To make matters worse was the lack of marbling. I would have turned these pieces down even if the were marked select and priced anywhere over $1 per lb. Unlike their other meats, they do not cut/package their own and I assume Excel or whoever is doing it thinks people are too stupid to look past the "prime" tag that doesn't mean $hit since that isn't the muscle that is being graded.

So, out of the two prime packers i posted, one is very "floppy" the other is pretty stiff. Is one more attractive then the other?

So, out of the two prime packers i posted, one is very "floppy" the other is pretty stiff. Is one more attractive then the other?
No. One just has more hard fat than the other. I've never had one not be floppy after trimming the hard fat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had to stop at Sam's this morning to redeem my cash back reward. I figured I might be tempted to grab a prime packer and burn through of my rewards money. My store has had prime for a while including packers, but I have only ever bought prime steaks. For the same reason as before, today was no different. The price was good (around $3.25 if I remember correctly), and they even had some reasonably sized 12.5-14 pound packers retailed. The issue was that I can get far better quality choice for much cheaper. They all had an obscene amount of hard fat and really nasty looking and thick fat cap. To make matters worse was the lack of marbling. I would have turned these pieces down even if the were marked select and priced anywhere over $1 per lb. Unlike their other meats, they do not cut/package their own and I assume Excel or whoever is doing it thinks people are too stupid to look past the "prime" tag that doesn't mean $hit since that isn't the muscle that is being graded.

I dont care for Sam's prime briskets...theyre visually unappealing compared to what I can get from Costco at prime grade, and I havent liked the results when cooking them. However, I have turned out some great choice briskets from Sam's, in particular the Black Canyon (I think) labeled ones. Dunno what the difference is, I would figure prime would be better, but not in my experience. Ive probably cooked 20 to 30 of their choice briskets and 5 or so prime briskets in the past year, fairly decent sample size.

Also, beef is graded based on the ribeye only, which doesn't necessarily mean the brisket will be of equal quality.

I dont care for Sam's prime briskets...theyre visually unappealing compared to what I can get from Costco at prime grade, and I havent liked the results when cooking them. However, I have turned out some great choice briskets from Sam's, in particular the Black Canyon (I think) labeled ones. Dunno what the difference is, I would figure prime would be better, but not in my experience. Ive probably cooked 20 to 30 of their choice briskets and 5 or so prime briskets in the past year, fairly decent sample size.

Also, beef is graded based on the ribeye only, which doesn't necessarily mean the brisket will be of equal quality.

http://www.blackcanyon-angusbeef.com/

I would say it has more to do with the brand than the grade?

http://www.blackcanyon-angusbeef.com/

I would say it has more to do with the brand than the grade?

Poking at the briskets in my local Sam's Club, the brands were Excel and National Beef. I don't know much about the different brands, but I have seen several posters on this forum say that the Excel brand is not one of the better ones. I really need to drag my butt down to the nearest HEB store and see what briskets they have available.

Hmm...Costco or Sam's?

Both. I like them both since they have proprietary rights to certain products that the other does not carry.

Glad to hear or hope they will carry Prime around these parts.

Woah went offline for the weekend and came back to 2+ pages of replys! Glad everyone is finding prime in their local sam's. Haven't checked our Sam's yet as we use Costco for prime at the moment. Looking forward to not having to drive all the way to Costco just for a brisket :cool:

Back