Sams Club vs Costco

Thanks everyone! I guess the consensus is Costco! I do have a Smart and Final near by but never have paid much attention to their butts/ribs. I only pick up my buffalo wings there. I will go now to see what I can mustard up with for this weekend.

I have to agree about Smart and final their meat has always been good. However Costco prime in southern cal is also very good when they have it.

Is it forbidden to ask the butchers at Costco if they can do something a little special, like a bone-in pork butt? I am new to Costco and have never tried asking for a favor like that like I might at my local grocery store.
Our Costco gets them in from their packer already boneless. I prefer them boneless myself...our Sam's carries only bone-in which is why I buy mine at Costco.

The one thing I do like about Sam's is they let business members in at 7am. Costco doesn't offer that and makes you wait until 9:30/10am depending on the day to shop with the general public.

I've always been happy with Costco. Don't shop at Sam's or Walmart. In the past I've gotten good meat at Smart and Final before but was in there recently and was not impressed. I've heard of a place in San Bernardino, Ca. called Frank's Wholesale Meat. I've heard very good things about it, but have not taken the drive out there to check it out yet.

Costco and Restaurant Depot are the best combinations IMO. I go to Costco for my every day stuff like ribeyes, spares, etc. RD is for briskets, bone in pork butts and spices.
If you get a KCBS membership you can get a day pass to any RD.

I love being able to go to the slaughter house down the street and get fresh meat. They slaughter on Wednesdays. I could never do that when I lived in CA, but here in KY people seem to think it's no big deal. I think it's cool. The pork is awesome and special cuts are no problem.

The costco I go to only has brisket flats, no whole packers, which stinks. I absolutely love costco ribeye steaks, though and as stated, the fish and chicken is good, too.

Never got a pork butt from them... usually go to Stater Bros for that and whole packer briskets.

I do not have a Sam's club membership. I thought it was walmart on 'roids and the walmart near me has a c-r-a-p-p-y selection of meats. Maybe I should go take a look, eh?

I have found that they all vary in different locations. Used to belong to Cosco, now it sucks. Sam's in one location is different from the one 5 miles away. BJ's still different again. You should shop them all and pick the one that suites your needs the best.

Dude, you are the luckiest BBQ'er alive. Via google maps you are literally surrounded by no less than 8 Restaurant Depot's. Their prices, selection, and turn-over is great and membership is free. While RD is technically "wholesale only" it is pretty easy to qualify for membership. While we are legitimately moving into catering and as yet do not have a business license all we needed was a business card to get a membership. If your a KCBS member you can get day passes. Any non-profit can get a membership as well.

Since your actual question was Sam's or Costco (if RD turns out not to be an option) and you need to pick just one then store to store Costco hands down. Comparing meat departments muddles it though. Selection varies from one to another. Of the KCBS 4 our Costco always has choice brisket flats, spare and loin backs and of course chicken but rarely pork butts - the rest of the meat dept. is awesome. Our Sam's OTOH always has all 4 and their briskies are CAB (but still flats only) however selection in more specialty cuts doesn't come close to Costco. The quality nod again goes to Costco. Hope this helps!

A friend of mine who has a Sam's Club Membership and I with my Costco Membership did a cross-comparrison of their meats the other day. Mostly we noted that Costco better trims their meat. Less excess exterior fat. I do not like that they de-bone the Pork Butts, but I usually get those at RD anyway. Better trimmed ribs and very nicely trimmed Brisket Flats at Costco to be sure. AND, as has been said, those Prime Ribeyes are hard to beat!

Dude, you are the luckiest BBQ'er alive. Via google maps you are literally surrounded by no less than 8 Restaurant Depot's. Their prices, selection, and turn-over is great and membership is free. While RD is technically "wholesale only" it is pretty easy to qualify for membership. While we are legitimately moving into catering and as yet do not have a business license all we needed was a business card to get a membership. If your a KCBS member you can get day passes. Any non-profit can get a membership as well.

Since your actual question was Sam's or Costco (if RD turns out not to be an option) and you need to pick just one then store to store Costco hands down. Comparing meat departments muddles it though. Selection varies from one to another. Of the KCBS 4 our Costco always has choice brisket flats, spare and loin backs and of course chicken but rarely pork butts - the rest of the meat dept. is awesome. Our Sam's OTOH always has all 4 and their briskies are CAB (but still flats only) however selection in more specialty cuts doesn't come close to Costco. The quality nod again goes to Costco. Hope this helps!

I've never been to RD before. I really want to go, but I heard that KCBS and RD no long have an agreement in place. I'd love just to go check it it out first. I have a RD 3 minutes away from my job. :mad:

I believe I'll continue my Costco membership. I just hate going there because I go to only buy meat, and end up buying all kinds of crap and over spending.

I've shopped at both Sams and Cosco for meats and I find that it depends on the area your in (city, state ) as to which has the best meats.

I've never been to RD before. I really want to go, but I heard that KCBS and RD no long have an agreement in place. I'd love just to go check it it out first. I have a RD 3 minutes away from my job. :mad:

I believe I'll continue my Costco membership. I just hate going there because I go to only buy meat, and end up buying all kinds of crap and over spending.

Good call! If I had to pick one over the other it would be Costco.

Back