Sam's Club Medford, LI Team List

Well they didn't want me changing the team name but they put me as pitmaster.

Heads up Medford, looks like you got a rookie gunning for DAL this weekend!

what is the earliest we can set-up?

Per the rules link, "official load in time is 8am on Friday.
Meat inspection 9am to 4pm.
official power time, friday noon to Sat.5pm/
Mandatory cooks meeting Friday at 5pm.
Judges meeting 10:30 am Sat.
Film at eleven.

HOW DOES the wing competition work at SAMS? I IMAGINE TYSON supplies the wings? or do we supply our own wings...

Here is an email I got, looks like it goes on the same time around turn ins.
Kind of a conflict for us.

To: Administrator <ctaylor@mmacreative.com>
Sent: Sun, Aug 12, 2012 4:14 pm
Subject: Need BBQ Team for PAID Cooking/Sampling Opportunity in Medford, NY this Saturday, August 18th

Hello New York BBQ Team,

I am sending this email to your BBQ Team to see if you would be interested in cooking for Tyson with your team at the 24th stop on the Sam’s National BBQ Tour in Medford, NY this Saturday, August 18, 2012. If you are already competing at this event (Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour), you can still help out (depending on how many people are on your team/etc.)

As you may or may not know, Tyson is hosting a competition this year- Tyson’s Best Chicken Wing on the Planet- at all the Sam’s Tour Local, Regional and National Tour stops which will include a fully branded 10’x20’ sampling tent area where we will have a BBQ team grill up Tyson pre-flavored chicken wings. It is very simple activation, as you will just be cooking frozen, pre-cooked Tyson chicken wings (2 or 3 different flavors). This will be outside in the Sam’s parking lot area near the BBQ Competition going on. We have found from previous teams that the best cooking set up is (1-2) large 6ft. commercial grills- (like the ones sold @ Sam’s Club). Smokers do not work well on these wings and are not recommended. I can send you a few pictures of good grill examples if needed. We have the tent, tables, aprons and signage already.

*We will pay you with a generous compensationfor your efforts, as well as take care of the meat, supplies and expenses (You will just need to supply your grilling/cooking apparatus /cambro/manpower to cook/sample meat) The teams we have hired for the last few events to help with this had a great time and are eager to participate again in their respective markets.

I would love to touch base with you soon since the event is this weekend. Please email me back with a good contact number for you and time to call about this opportunity since event is this weekend!

A few other details:
Setup: Friday afternoon, August 17th- will discuss time with interested teams over phone. Area needs to be completely set up by 8am on Saturday so you can start cooking wings and putting in cambros/etc.
Official Sampling Time: Saturday: August 18th, 10:30- 3:30pm

I will email more details/pictures/diagrams if you are interested in this opportunity. I make a goal to replay back to everyone within 24 hours. We only need one team for this job so it is a first come, first serve opportunity- please respond via email and give best contact phone number for me to follow up with you-

Thank you!
Casey

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
[FONT=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial]Casey Taylor Johns
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial]Account Executive
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial]cell | 901.240.7286
fax | 615.297.6286
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

The sampling is different from the wing contest.

Wing contest you supply your own wings. In Pittsburgh, they inspected them the same time as the KCBS meats. KCBS scoring, but no garnish allowed. Turn in time was 2:30 for the wings.........not much info was given until the cook's meeting.

Good luck!

The sampling is different from the wing contest.

Wing contest you supply your own wings. In Pittsburgh, they inspected them the same time as the KCBS meats. KCBS scoring, but no garnish allowed. Turn in time was 2:30 for the wings.........not much info was given until the cook's meeting.

Good luck!

Can they be fried? Or do they need to be cooked as per KCBS rules? Not much info on this. Guess we will see friday night.

Can they be fried? Or do they need to be cooked as per KCBS rules? Not much info on this. Guess we will see friday night.

I can't find it now, but I had read somewhere that they can be cooked any way you like, but don't hold me to that. I know I was considering frying then changed my mind and just did them in the smoker.

I don't recall now what they said at the meeting since I had already abandoned my fry plan.

You definitely supply your own wings, KCBS judging, and no garnish allowed.

Well they didn't want me changing the team name but they put me as pitmaster.

Heads up Medford, looks like you got a rookie gunning for DAL this weekend!

Make sure you stop by Mornin' Wood and say hi. It is our first year competing.... We are still getting the hang of things. We can compete for DAL.

Hey,

I don't know why I didn't think about this earlier, but if any competitor would like a CBJ available for their opinions prior to turn-ins, let me know.

I'm sure that I can get a local, experienced judge who would be happy to help with tastings, thoughts on turn-in boxes, etc.

It may be worth it, it may not but it probably wouldn't hurt to have someone who could have easily been judging the event offering you their opinions prior to it hitting the turn-in table.

I have a pretty large list of judges and I'd be happy to reach out to them if you think it would help.

Eric

Hey,

I don't know why I didn't think about this earlier, but if any competitor would like a CBJ available for their opinions prior to turn-ins, let me know.

I'm sure that I can get a local, experienced judge who would be happy to help with tastings, thoughts on turn-in boxes, etc.

It may be worth it, it may not but it probably wouldn't hurt to have someone who could have easily been judging the event offering you their opinions prior to it hitting the turn-in table.

I have a pretty large list of judges and I'd be happy to reach out to them if you think it would help.

Eric

Sounds great to me! We can use all the help we can get. Feel free to send them my way.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, I have a judge for Morning Wood (that just sounds wrong).

If any other teams would like a stand-by CBJ, please let me know.

Eric

sounds like a nice idea on the surface but I'd be careful.

you need to be in control...having an additional body, especially a stranger with a judge # in your tent can easily throw off your gameplan... Last thing you want is a stranger at the last minute looking over your shoulder telling you "too salty, too sweet, too spicy, need more sauce, missed a spot with the parsely, don't put your ribs like that"...

Last edited:
I think we need an updated Sledcast. Well unless those guys that are always wrong are still wrong.

Sledcast
Friday

Clear in the morning, then partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. High of 88F. Winds from the SSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Friday Night

Mostly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. Low of 72F. Winds from the SW at 5 to 10 mph shifting to the NW after midnight. Chance of rain 50% with rainfall amounts near 0.5 in. possible.

Saturday

Mostly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. High of 81F. Winds from the NW at 5 to 10 mph shifting to the WSW in the afternoon. Chance of rain 40% with rainfall amounts near 0.3 in. possible.
Saturday Night

Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. Fog overnight. Low of 61F. Winds from the West at 5 to 15 mph shifting to the North after midnight.

I love the idea of the judge but wouldn't want them tasting anything until after turn ins because it might throw me off.

Back