Salt and health benefits

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Gore (surprise!)
I know salt comes up a lot here and people are concerned with salt intake for hypertension. I read this article in Costco Connections about new recommendations in salt intake that may be implemented.

http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201209#pg40

While on many occasions we've discussed that reduced salt intake is only beneficial for those suffering hypertension, this article suggests that reduced salt is detrimental:

"A study published in the August 2011
issue of the American Journal of Hypertension,
involving 6,250 subjects, found no strong evidence
that cutting salt intake reduces the risk
for heart attacks, strokes or death.

"In fact, the risk for heart disease was 56
percent higher for the low-salt group than for
the group that consumed the most salt. The
conclusion the researchers came to was, the
less salt you eat, the more likely you will die
from heart disease, something that completely
contradicts conventional views."

The article in question can be found here:

http://www.nature.com/ajh/journal/v24/n8/full/ajh2011115a.html

Incidentally, Nature publishing is one of the most reputable groups of journals.

I would also note that our salt intake is greatly reduced from what it was before the age of refrigeration.

So salt is the new red meat, carbohydrate, or anything else that used to be bad but now is good? :noidea:

NPR did a segment on those findings a while back. I don't have BP issues, so I didn't listen as carefully as I would have, otherwise. But, It was interesting how we are always finding that some food that was once bad for you, is now good for you.

CD

I recently got a free pass from my cardiologist to "eat more salt". As it turns out I have Dysautonomia and a slow heart rate due to a bum nerve in my neck. Blood pressure likes to drop, I get dizzy, nerve kicks in, heart likes just take a nap when it wants to (read stop). So I got a pacemaker and a free pass to load up on the salt to keep the bp up. I guess it's a silver lining in this farkers BBQ loving life. Lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

What most people don't realize is that in a day, you'll consume a lot of salt in things like soft drinks, sports drinks, lunch meat, and most canned and packaged foods. And the amount of salt you use to season your grilled/smoked meats is really not that much.
I've also read several articles from celeb chefs and 5 star chefs and they all say that one of the biggest mistakes people make is that they don't use enough salt to season their food.

I put salt in my coffee. A dash on top of the grounds before brewing takes the edge off the acidity.

The only reason I am salt aware is because there is so much salt in every day items that we eat. I try to limit it when I can so when it comes time to cook up that steak or whatever, I can feel free to season it up good.

What most people don't realize is that in a day, you'll consume a lot of salt in things like soft drinks, sports drinks, lunch meat, and most canned and packaged foods. And the amount of salt you use to season your grilled/smoked meats is really not that much.
I've also read several articles from celeb chefs and 5 star chefs and they all say that one of the biggest mistakes people make is that they don't use enough salt to season their food.

I agree, I never understood people that are "cutting down on salt" and think it means not using the salt shaker. They are usually the same people getting most of their food from a box or can.

Nothing is bad for you if you do it in moderation.

That's my theory.
My doctor beat me up for years about cutting back on salt. Now days there isn't much said about salt in the medical circles. The cardiologist now says don't overdue it and take this little pink pill. Works for me.

If it's not good for the body, it's good for the soul.

Google a company called "Real Salt" and read what they say about the many great benefits of real sea salt. Of course they'll say anything to hawk their products, but on one of their blogs they give many sincere compliments to a few of their competitors. It's the only salt I use and it's delicious.

Back